Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~Welcome to the new stage of roleplay~

HomeSearchRegisterLog in

Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:01 pm

Not really. It's commonly considered horror, but there's nothing really horror about it. I mean, there's a "monster," but that's subverted at least halfway through when you get his side of the story. People die, but pretty much all deaths happen off-screen, which takes away any real sense of terror. It's closer to a Greek tragedy than anything else.

~Vae Victis - The Black Lily Blooms~
Back to top Go down
https://rpbastion.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:04 pm

It's a romantism horror story. I studied the author's backstory. This story is a horror story of it's time.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:06 pm

Well, considering the time, yeah. But nowadays, I doubt anyone would get a horror vibe from it.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:10 pm

that's because nowadays people care about the creature's perspective. Back then, people only saw it as a monster
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:12 pm

I don't see how, given that several chapters are given to his backstory about how painfully woobie he was trying to make people love and accept him. Seriously, Victor is the monster here making something, abandoning it, treating it like crap when he does come across it again, and then getting pissed when it finally starts retaliating. It's like beating a dog and then getting shocked when it actually decides to bite. Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 2332200876

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:18 pm

Because it's a differant time? You know, people tended to have very radical views on what was acceptable in comparison to modern times.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:27 pm

I get that. For instance, people watching Gone With the Wind nowadays denounce Scarlett for having slaves. Like... that's not the point. Racial equality still hadn't really caught on yet.

But that's a social issue, and those always change. Frankenstein is much more about moral issues to me. Your actions have consequences, and shoving off the blame on other people won't solve it. I'm not absolving the Monster for his actions. He knew murder was wrong and did it anyway. But his actions were the result of pain and fear and abuse. Victor's actions were the result of being an idiot and making a mess, and then running away from that mess and pointing fingers at the mess as though it should clean itself up.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:29 pm

that's all fine and dandy. But the monster is still a monster.

People back then didn't look at it as "Doctor, what have you done creating life and leaving it to rot!?", they looked at it "Doctor, what have you done playing God and creating a monster?!"
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:32 pm

But it's clearly not a monster. If you compare to the old black-and-white movie, that is clearly a monster because it's like a rampaging wild monster.

The one in the book clearly feels, thinks, reasons, and desires love and companionship. His only fault was being ugly. I mean, look at the Picture of Dorian Grey. Clearly, looks are not the basis for moral high ground.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:36 pm

The creature wasn't ugly. He was an abomination. He was a pile of meat sewed together, the word ugly is not enough to describe it. And again, differant times, why do you talk as if human emotions is enough to make someone human?
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:45 pm

He was human parts put together with human emotions. So yeah, pretty close to human.

And honestly, from the descriptions given, it didn't sound that bad. Probably no worse than accident victims who need to get body parts sewn back on and things burned off. Even the height given, like 7 feet tall, isn't unheard of in humans, even if it is rare.

Now, I happen to be an incredibly vain and looks-focused person. So I fully understand people reacting in shock and horror to his appearance. But geez, it only takes a second to hear him talk to know there's nothing wrong with him.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:54 pm

This is getting in my nerves. What part of "Differant times" do you not understand?

do you also want to ask me why people thought women were less than animals?

it's annoying because you are talking as if trying to convince me of something, when all I'm doing is pointing out a fact
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:00 pm

Again, those are social issues. This is a moral issue. Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 2332200876 Responsibility isn't really a fluctuating concept.

Besides, you've only a few chapters in, so you haven't even gotten to the parts I'm talking about. Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 2332200876

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:06 pm

(facedesk)

holy ****, I never said that I didn't understood the creature's perspective
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:09 pm

You haven't read his perspective. Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 2332200876

And anyway, I never said you didn't. I'm saying the discussion is pointless since you haven't gotten through the book yet. By the end, you will want to drown Victor yourself.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:15 pm

no, YOU are the one who doesn't understand. It doesn't matter if Victor is satan himself for all I care. PEOPLE BACK THEN, DID NOT CARE. this is not a debate, this is a fact.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:17 pm

That's great. But I'm talking about YOU right now, because I'm tired of talking about dead people. Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 2332200876

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:20 pm

THEN WHY ARE YOU TELLING ME SOMETHING THAT I ALREADY KNOW?!
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:21 pm

WHY DON'T WE JUST MAKE OUT?!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:28 pm

lol that's one way to make me laugh
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:28 pm

It worked. Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 3680231627

So, now what?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:35 pm

let's talk about our character in the rp to come
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:38 pm

M'kay. :0

I think Elizabeth should romance Henry. Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 4134108735

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:49 pm

Is Henry man enough for Elizabeth? :V
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:52 pm

Why don't you find out. Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 3360859111

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly   Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly - Page 34 Clock11

Back to top Go down

Chat Thread 20: The Good, The Chat, and The Ugly
Page 34 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next