Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~Welcome to the new stage of roleplay~

HomeSearchRegisterLog in

The Grail Games IC

Go down 
+3
RyubosJ
Spiriter
Dannytheman1
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage

The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:14 pm

Maou [Chapel]

A sky of red and sea of flames. Winds that were more like impenetrable vacuums. That was all one could see of the battle. Berserker... No, Ravager had finally made his move. ... Was she happy about that? She couldn't tell. But Maou knew for certain the feeling that came next. A gut-wrenching certainty as she watched the Homuculus in rapt attention. As she saw the red flames part for the briefest of moments, and let through a powerful golden burst. A stream of light... similiar to the one that had defeated Assassin. But compared to that sparkle, this attack was the sun itself. It hurt her to look at it. It hurt to feel it, and recognize what drove it. Something strong and beautiful, yet impossible to reach. Impossible to understand, and impossible to chase. Just like the Akashic records so many Magi set out to find.  They easily forgot this very feeling. The feeling that drove this arrow to pierce the sky, only to spiral back down with a certainty only found in delusions.

"Father..." The light faded in a brilliant hue, mixing in with the fiery destruction. A brilliant sunset. At this time of night, A scene completely unnatural. As were Maou's words. One would be confused, unable to think that solemnly spoken word referred to the priest. Her heart was not heavy. It was light. Impossibly light. Maou had hoped that some fondness of her had remained and stuck into Ravager. Her heart fought for the chance Ravager was still alive, but soon it too was convinced: She was now alone.

But... it had let a crack in of hope. And through that crack, a small light shone in. From Archer's final act of love. It could hardly dispel the darkness within. Yet it shone none the less, and made her heart twist and ache with the unfamiliar emotions. Sympathy. Empathy. A delusional hope. Maou turned to Raphael, standing tall. She was not crying. She could not even try. Tears meant pain. This feeling was too meaningful to be stained by such petty things. "... If you can pray for humanity, wasting your time to save those who can save themselves..." Her tone was not sad. It had venom in. Undirected Anger. Accusations. "Can you not pray for these soulless ghosts? These copies born from the World's mana and molded by the hopes, dreams, and awe of the people who followed them? Machines with personalities forced in. Destined to fight and kill and die in an endless cycle, just so they have the slightest possibility of fufilling their truest of desires?" Self-pity. "Instead of praying for those with hope, why do you not instead pray for those without it? To save those who believe they only have one path to walk?" Ten... No, fifteen years ago. If someone had offered their hand and let her walk away from all of this... She may not have been saved then. But she would have tried to save herself. Now, it was too late.

All she could do now was walk down the path. It didn't matter if it was set down for her by something else. It was the only thing she had. She could only keep moving. If she didn't, she would lose her way and lose herself. She may be one of those damned, but she had been true to herself. She was who she was supposed to be. That fact was a pure as any love. Meira... Maou... All they could do was clench their fists and move their legs. Walking forward to their desire. Step by step, climbing the mountain until they were at the top. Until in the entire world, they were the only ones to be damned. The only ones who could not be saved. The only ones who had to be lonely, the only ones who had to be hated, the only ones who had to be cast aside.

A path of corpses.
A lonely one with not even an animal trail branching off.
There was no possibility of returning.
The woman with the crimson eyes could only walk on, hoping to fufill her truest desire.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:09 pm

There was something noble and beautiful in the sight of the radiant star unleashed by Archer. It evoked a strange feeling in him that he could not recognize... or was it just long since buried?

The beauty of a love so strong it defied all odds. The notion of fate itself.

"Archer..." he murmured. Maou's words strung a strong chord in him. Was it the fact that she was right - that those without hope needed prayer and guidance more than any others, though they were so easily abandoned? Was it that he had taken these Servants for granted, incapable of such passion and humanity? Or was it that, fiend though she may be, he had not truly grasped the complexity of this woman before him?

"Truer words were never spoken," Abaddon replied, turning away from the battlefield. "That is why there must be one more death tonight. Someone incapable of understanding my desire to live... is too dangerous to keep around."

Raphael gritted his teeth, backing away slowly as the homunculus' devilish eyes focused on him. Dealing with the homunculus would be difficult enough, but it was too much to hope that Maou would not join in on the fight as well. He was outmatched and outnumbered, with little chance of escape.

"You're right. One more death is needed."

All heads swiveled at the sound of a voice from a break in the church wall. There stood Archer, looking rather the worse for wear. His clothes were torn and signed, his skin cut, bruised, and bloody. Despite this, he stood tall and proud, his glare fierce and deadly at the homunculus.

"I must applaud your tenacity," Abaddon said, recovering from its surprise. "I did not expect you to survive Ravager's attack, much less make it here."

Archer ignored the homunculus' words and turned to the priest.

"You should go now, while you have a chance," he told Raphael firmly. The Executor was reluctant to agree, but he knew that the Servant was right. Better to cut his losses and live to fight another day.

"Archer..." Raphael murmured, wishing there were words to express his tumultuous feelings. "Good luck."

With that, the priest turned and hurried from the ruined remnants of the church into the night. Abaddon made a move to follow him, but Archer raised his bow and aimed it at the homunculus' heart.

"Not one move, or you're dead," he growled, eyes flashing dangerously. Abaddon stopped, but after a moment tilted its head in an expression of amusement.

"I think..." it said softly. "That we both know that's an empty threat. If you could have killed me by now you would have done so."

Archer's expression did not waver or change. Then, after a moment, he sighed and lowered his arms, the bow dropping harmlessly to the ground.

"I guess I couldn't hide that from you," he murmured weakly as his legs began to dissolve in a shower of sparkling light. The fact that he could have risen from the battlefield and even aimed that bow when he should have already vanished from this world was a testament to the iron will of the legendary Odysseus.

"You have my thanks, Archer. That was a marvelous show," the homunculus said, smiling as the hero's scowl deepened.

"I may not have had the pleasure of killing you myself, but you will die, just as surely as if it had been by my hands," Archer declared, even as his arms and chest began to fade. "I swear it."

With a last, defiant look, the knight of the bow departed in a shimmer of light. For a moment, Abaddon stared at the place where Archer had vanished, feeling he words hang ominously in the air. Then, as if to clear away the misgivings, gave a tinkling laugh.

"Oh, Archer, your spirit is most admirable," the homunculus laughed, feeling the Servant's essence return to him. "I shall be sure to put it to good use."

~Vae Victis - The Black Lily Blooms~
Back to top Go down
https://rpbastion.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:33 pm

Maou [Chapel]

... Silence. Where it had once been so lively, there was only her and the Homunculus. "If you live, one day you must die, that much is obvious. More needless last words have never been spoken." Maou looked around, eventually focusing on Vivienne's corpse. "Abbadon, I trust you'll lay low when the normal people come to investigate this incident." She walked amognst the debris, searching and finding her dagger before sheathing it once more on her thigh. "If you need a place to stay, you know where to find me." Maou could only feel how hollow she was. Before, she had never cared for death. Surrounded by the hustle and bustle of many, she had never recognized the loneliness it brought. Enemies and rivals faded. Allies were killed. The hectic days of too many become the solemn days of too few. The contestants were dwindling. Those who stayed in this city would die. That much was obvious. Just as planned, there would only be one victor. One survivor. The Grail Games... it no longer had the absolute promise of such a mythical object. Now, it was simply war. The city was a battlefield. Allies were temporary. Everyone was out to destroy the others.

For Maou the Demon King, it was all too fitting a stage.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:00 pm

The sun had only begun to come up over the horizon in earnest, spilling a gentle, warm light over the landscape. But Calisa was wide awake, staring off into the distance across the ruins.

Assassin gone. Ravager gone. Archer gone.

It seemed as though Death had become overeager, reaching out to claim as many of them as possible. From the original seven, they were now down to three.

Saber... Lancer... and Caster.

She didn't care for Saber at all, and didn't know Lancer well enough to feel too bothered. But Logan, Dowth, and Raphael... all the foes she would have to eventually face... they were all too familiar to her to feel anything but unease at the prospect of facing them to the death.

It had been easier to push aside those thoughts and trepidations when the eventuality had seemed far off. But it was here at last. There was no more hiding from it.

Everything had a cost. Freedom was no exception. But what was she willing to give up in exchange for it? Her humanity itself? Could she be happy with a dream bought by the destruction of others? Could she even live with herself?

"I won't run. And I won't hide," she whispered, balling her hands into fists. She had chosen this path, and she owed it to herself to see it through to the end. Whatever consequences might arise... she would deal with them when the time came.

And before long, it most certainly would.

Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:16 pm

Calisa's Corner is a strange variety show filled with commentaries, interviews, and trivia.

If you wish to avoid being sidetracked,

or if you would like to keep the characters' images, please be warned.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:17 pm

VI
The Lion, the Witch, and the Warrior

The church was in complete disarray. The police were baffled by what to make of it.

Some speculated that there was an electrical fire, causing an explosion. That explained the widespread destruction, but not some of the more minor issues such as the pews that looked as though they'd been hacked apart.

Others theorized that it had been vandals. That would explain the more cosmetic damage, but hardly the destruction of the stately walls and most of the grounds outside.

People began to fish for more outlandish theories. Perhaps a meteor shower had happened during the night. There hadn't been one forecasted, nor any sign of meteors in the area, but that was a minor consideration, it seemed.

The ever-popular gas explosion was volunteered. Unsurprisingly, they ended up defaulting to this.

The priest who had been taking care of it, it seemed, would be registered as "missing." It was unlikely he would have survived, had he been around, but there was no body or evidence that he had been present. The easy way out was taken again.

Predictable. There hadn't even been much sense in surveying this information. That was only a secondary consideration, anyway. The more pressing issue was when it was safe to finally return. With the police vacating the area as the last of the "Do Not Enter" tape was spread around the perimeter, it seemed safe to make the call.

Unseen as he stood aloft the mostly intact spire of the church, a figure in garbed in black, his arms and chest bare, watched as the last of the men dispersed. His eyes, unseen behind the black mask, narrowed critically as he made the final judgment.

"Perimeter secure. Safe to return," Servant Marauder reported, descending into the ruins of the church.

[OOC: Marauder's sheets will be added to the front page later tonight.]

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:28 pm

Illya - Kaiserpfalz

Only three remain, Saber, Lancer and Caster. This Holy Grail war is reaching is pinnacle, initially Caster believed to be above all others, that no servant could match her, that she would win the war without difficulty. But now? quite the opposite. She's doesn't even know if she wants to win.

Assassin and Archer both died, they could have served as powerful pawns, but instead decided to throw themselves into the grail's vessel and now they would serve it.

"Even if I kill them, I will have to kill the abomination that comes out from them. What a bad joke..."

And that's not even the worse, should Caster die, she would be the one becoming the abomination. Becoming the puppet of a puppet. How disgusting. She would kill Saber, that one did not deserve anything but death. But Lancer, yes if Caster could convince Lancer to seize hostilities, to give up on the grail, then they wouldn't have to risk becoming a monster.

Caster relaxed in the roots of her tree, the massive tree was already so large it was unnatural, maybe as tall as a skyscraper. Her noble phantasm was ready, she will not allow fate to control again.
Back to top Go down
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
Payne

Location : Sitting alone outside a door that someone else kicked in. I'll wait for all eternity. Won't you invite me in?

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:26 pm

Illya, Noin - City Hall

"I still don't like this idea..."

Lancer threw another wary glance at the building across the street before meeting Logan's gaze again.

"At least let me go in instead." She protested.

Logan raised a hand to silence her and gave Lancer a wry smile. "You and I both know it has to be me. Besides, you said that you don't sense Saber anywhere in the area. Eames might have been a tricky one, but Dowth is more honorable, even if he is a pompous bureaucrat..."

Lancer gave him another taste of her disapproving glare, but Logan turned towards the building anyway. "Just stay on alert. If I need help, you'll know."

Right now, he needed answers, and there was only one man in the city who was likely to have them. If only it had been any other man... Irony was a heartless bitch. Logan thought to himself as he pounded three times on the front door with his knuckles.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:04 pm

Jorg, Payne - Kaiserpfalz

A prison or a refuge? Calisa had heard before that the only real difference was the intention of the person keeping you there.

Calisa knew Caster's intentions were good, but it still felt stifling nonetheless to be secluded up in the ruins of Kaiserpfalz. While it was meant to protect her, she felt as though she were back in Schloss Eller, staring out at the world from beyond a window.

She had to get out, even if only for a little while. If it was during the day, there couldn't be that much danger, surely.

Calisa considered telling Caster, but the Servant seemed lost in her own thoughts, high up in the branches of the ethereal tree sprouting from the center of the ruins. It would be fine. She always had her Command Spells, if it came to that.

Mind made up, Calisa headed out of the ruins and toward the city below, her footsteps feeling a bit lighter already.

--------------------

Payne -City Hall

Despite his resolution, Dowth felt paralyzed to act.

It was not hesitation to fulfill his desire, merely a disability to formulate a proper plan to achieve it. He couldn't waltz into Kaiserpfalz after what had happened with Saber - the name still brought a bitter taste to his mouth - and especially not with what he would be asking her to do. Her Servant would not take well to that at all. Probably would smite him without thought. It would be easy enough for her, considering the disaster she had been prepared to unleash without even the need for spell casting.

But still, he had to do it. Somehow, some way. If only there were a way to get her alone...

Dowth turned to gaze out the window and violently started. Could it be possible?

There was Calisa, walking seemingly alone along the street. Before he really had time to process it, Dowth was out of his chair and hurrying to the door. He' grasped the doorknob, already twisting it as the knock came. Automatically, he wrenched open the door, then froze at the sight of Logan standing on the threshold.

"Master of Lancer... yes?" he said, trying to appear calmer than he felt.

--------------------

Jorg - Kaiserpfalz

"I hope I'm not intruding."

At the far end of the tree from where Caster stood, the homunculus appeared. It seemed far more human its demeanor as it smiled the Servant, cocking its head to the side.

"I don't suppose introductions are needed," it said smoothly, "but for the sake of formalities - I am Abaddon. I've been wanting to meet you, Servant Caster."

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:54 am

Illya - Kaiserpfalz

Caster noticed Calisa leave, she wasn't doing that much of a god job if her intention was to not be noticed, then again, it didn't matter since Caster would have just notice her leave from the bounded field one way or another.

However before she could follow Calisa to where she was heading, something showed up, something she simply wasn't expecting. It was so strange she actually thought it was an error from her field a mistake, but no, that thing had actually come here.

It didn't seem to keen on stealth either, immediately revealing himself to her.

"Heh, are you implying you know something about me?"

If the grail wanted to meet her it meant it knew something about her, Caster simply hoped it was from the memories from the fallen servants and not just it knowing about all the participating servants.

Not only that Ravager was a problem, while she was certain she could annihilate him without difficulty, having Archer's noble phantasm on the other end was rather terrifying, it didn't help that thanks to being an archer even if she kills the grail Ravager will still be around long enough to kill her. So for now the grail seemed interested in her, she would have to maintain that interest.

"So, what could you possibly want from me? Though my legends states otherwise, I can be quite generous at times."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:27 pm

Maou [Warehouse]

By now it was a routine. Imagining an enemy in front of her. One that had powers unimaginable and unreasonable. Shadowboxing, many called it. She would strike in body, and focus with mind. She had no Noble Phantasm. Her sword went unnamed, and although its ability could be helpful, it couldn't be relied on. To Servants, it was as simple a weapon as the daggers she kept on her thighs. Her actions would have to be faster than their own. Faster than their ability to turn into spirit form. Unexpected. It was no doubt that her enemies would be at the peak, probably higher in skill than herself. But there was a large difference.

Servants were machines.
And the homunculus that gained life from such things was a machine itself.

As her fist passed through air, stirring it only after the blow had completed, she smiled. That poor thing. It had a name and it had free will, but neither it nor Servants will have life. They were made and detailed for a specific purpose. Like herself, they could not be called 'alive' until they destroyed or completed that purpose. That was as much Maou's goal, not just the one Meira had set. At least in death, these monsters would have a moment of life. Where their goals didn't matter, as they became unreachable. Archer's last act...

Another punch.

But while they were still breathing, they were not alive. They were machines. They had maximum capabilities. In that regard, Maou was different. She had never once used her full capabilities. Even if her physical limit had been reached, her mind and experience could grow. Servants had defined skills. As such, battles between them were often stalemates until Noble Phantasms were used. But for the Demon King, she would grow stronger with every attack she threw or parried. Her attacks would not aim for fatal points. They would aim for efficiency. Attack narrowly. Attack defensively. If an opportunity presents itself, take it without making one for your opponent.

For this, she was perfect.

Her narrow attacks could have maximum power. Any opportunities she gave to her opponents could be turned into her own. Her mage craft was not unlike sorcery in that regard. By reaching down to the smallest building blocks and changing those, it made the impossible possible. It was her own self-crafted miracle. Maou had the upmost respect for Meira, who had crafted such spells. The ability to punch when your fist is stopped. The ability to recover when you are unrecoverable. The ability to create and close openings when there were none. The ability to create a foothold in a place where there was nothing.

These were her weapons more so than any blade. Her body could do more than anything her weapons could.
Back to top Go down
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
Payne

Location : Sitting alone outside a door that someone else kicked in. I'll wait for all eternity. Won't you invite me in?

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:45 pm

Illya, Noin - City Hall

Logan raised an eyebrow at Dowth as the door swung open less than a second after his third knock. Had the magus seen his approach? No. He was somewhat flushed, as if he'd run to the door. Why? Surely there was no reason that Dowth would want to talk with him...

Calisa Lannister just walked past me... Alone.

Lancer's words rattled in his mind for a moment before Logan completely understood them. Well this certainly complicated things...

Keep tabs on her.

There was silence in his mind for a moment.

And leave you alone with him? What if Saber shows up? Is there a limit to the risks you're willing to take with yourself?

Just do it.
Logan growled back through the link before he turned his attention back to Dowth.

"Forgive me for asking, but don't high class types like yourself usually have a doorman?" He rasped, peering over Dowth's shoulder as if looking for just such a thing. "I suppose it lets me cut out the middle man though. There's something I'd like to discuss with you." Logan glanced around for a moment, thinking about the bounded field that was watching. "Somewhere away from prying eyes if possible..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Illya, Noin - Streets

Men...

Lancer rolled her eyes at the word. Always stubborn and demanding...

She'd shifted into spirit form to follow Calisa, but she was tired of doing nothing. Logan had said something about waiting not being the same thing the night before, but it felt the same to her.

Just ahead, Calisa had stopped to look at a display of musical instruments in a window, and Lancer appeared beside her. Maybe she could at least get some useful information from the woman...

"Do you like music?"

Last edited by Payne on Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:52 pm

Jorg - Kaiserpfalz

The homunculus smiled at Caster's attitude. She was no failing to live up to expectations.
"I know everything about you, Caster. After all, it was I who brought you forth from the Throne."

Abaddon was amused to see the gears turning in Caster's head. She had not survived this long just because of her powerful magic. She was also a clever one. But he would have expected nothing less.

"Want? I have no ulterior motives," Abaddon said, feigning dismay. "I simply wished to meet you and speak with you."

Of the three remaining Servants, Caster was the only one that the homunculus could understand and whose motivations it could fathom. They were not so unalike.

"Actually, it is I who will display generosity today," the homunculus continued, eyes glittering amusedly. "The Games still need a winner, and... well, I suppose I should be impartial, but I would like that winner to be... you."

--------------------

Payne, Noin - City Hall, Streets
This was most unexpected, and incredibly inconvenient. It took all of his willpower not to grind his teeth in frustration. But Dowth could not allow Logan to know that he was in a hurry or why; to do so would give the young man a decisive advantage in dealing with him.

Logan appeared distracted momentarily, and Dowth could easily imagine why. No doubt he was discussing something with his Servant. But what? The thought of Calisa flashed in his mind, and a new resolve to force his way past this uninvited guest surfaced.

But if there was a chance Logan hadn't noticed her, he couldn't tip him off. He had to play things cool.

"Very well," Dowth said slowly, opening the door and allowing Logan inside. "Although your precautions are unnecessary. The bounded field has been inverted."

Logan immediately gave him a look, and Dowth quickly replied before he had a chance to ask to speed things up.

"I oversaw its setup," he said with a dismissive wave of his hand. "I know how it works. Right now it's blocking out any magical surveillance, rather than assisting it."

Dowth indicated a chair in his study and took one opposite his guest, forcing himself to take things casually and pour tea for both of them.

"No doubt the magi world is at a complete loss as to what to do," the magus said with an amused smile. "Desperate to know what's going on, but unable to act for fear of setting off the other factions. Forced into a stalemate. Quite the conundrum."

Dowth took a sip of his drink, unable to keep his eyes from darting to the window for a moment, knowing it was hopeless to think of catching a glimpse of her. She was probably blocks away by now.

"So, what is it that you wished to discuss?" he asked, crossing his legs and leaned back comfortably in his chair.

--------------------

Calisa gave a start at Lancer's sudden appearance. Whirling about, her hand immediately went to her Command Spell before she paused.

Stay calm. Stay in control. There was no need to use it and summon Caster. Not yet.

"Yes, I am," she answered reluctantly, watching Lancer with wary eyes. Logan was nowhere to be seen, but she doubted he could be far off.

"I'm surprised you'd be interested. The more you know the enemy, the harder it is to take their life," Calisa said quietly, her gaze steely. "Unless, that's a nonissue for you."

Lancer might not be as overtly dangerous as someone like Saber, but Calisa had no illusions as to what her worth was to the female Servant. Dead meat.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:35 pm

Illya - Kaiserpfalz

Caster was taken aback, did it really just say that? It wanted Caster to win? That didn't make sense, Caster was not an idiot, she would not fall for such an obvious trick. If Caster were win, no, if anyone were to win the grail would die. As such to wish for her victory would mean to wish its own demyse.

"Might I inquire why me in particular? I'm sorry, but this is the first time anyone has actually shown favor towards me without me influcing them."

Caster's eye narrow as she understands her possition, this grail clearly had no intention of allowing her to win, but it was making a grave mistake. Fine then, Caster become the puppet for now, but the one pulling the strings will not be Abaddon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:18 pm

Maou [Church]

Ka thunk. She threw open the half-busted doors, as insensitive as ever. "Yo Abbadon!" She yelled out casually, as insensitive as ever. But all that met her was the ruins from last night's battle. Probably in the back then. Shrugging, she moved deeper into the place. It was funny somewhat, how she had never used a church before. She had collected a few times, but she had never been into the whole prayer business. Yet now she visited this place almost daily. It was... slightly amusing.
Back to top Go down
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
Payne

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:09 pm

Illya, Noin - City Hall

Logan raised a questioning eyebrow at Dowth's comment about inverting the bounded field. Did that mean the other magus was also aware of the situation with the homunculus then? If so, that would make things easier. Even so, could he trust Dowth's statement? The older man could potentially gain an advantage by saying the field was inverted while leaving it otherwise. For now, it would be best to operate under the assumption that it was still operational.

He took the tea Dowth offered him, but didn't drink any of it before sitting it on the table. "I assume you're aware of what's happened to the Grail?" Logan phrased it as a question, but the look Dowth gave him was enough to determine the answer. "I want to discuss the terms for ending this Grail War. As things stand currently, I'm unsure if it's possible for the War to end in success for any party. Since you're the one who set it up, I trust that you would be the most likely to have an answer to my inquiry." Logan paused for a moment, picking up his tea to take a sip before continuing. "With the Grail in its current state, can there even be a winner of this War? If not, the terms of the contest are breached, and it must be ended in failure, before anything unsavory could result from its continuation."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Illya, Noin - Streets

Lancer's gaze followed Calisa's fingers to the command spells but it only lingered for a moment before returning to the musical instruments. "Why wouldn't I be interested?" She asked, reaching out to pluck a string on a guitar. "Music existed in my time, and it has lingered up until this point. It allows one to express themselves through sound, rather than violence. Although, one could argue that humanity is incapable of expressing itself fully in any other way than the sword..."

She turned more fully towards Calisa then, her eyes tracking over the other woman, sizing her up. "And you're wrong..." A shadow fell over Lancer's eyes for a moment, giving them a sad look before her pride swallowed it once more. "If someone is truly your enemy, the more you know about them, the easier it will be to take their life. For in knowing your enemy, you come to realize that they would not hesitate to take yours. Or even worse, that they would have you live as a slave instead..." She watched the woman closely as she finished, as if examining something she didn't quite understand.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:47 am

Jorg - Kaiserpfalz

Abaddon smiled at Caster's transparency. Perhaps a less perceptive person might not notice, but it was clear that Caster was pondering every angle of this proposal with increasing doubts.

"Why?" the homunculus said lightly, tilting its head in amusement. "Because we are alike, you and I."

It was clear from Caster's expression that she did not understand its meaning. What could the two of them possibly have in common.

"You see," Abaddon explained, disappearing and materializing on a root closer by, its legs crossed casually. "We were both created for a purpose by those who did not care for our input on the matter. Did we want this path? Did our feelings not matter?"

The homunculus shrugged, as though brushing the past away.

"You broke free from that restraint, despite the enormous cost. You were cast off by your creator, cast off by your lover. You were left alone in darkness, uncared and unloved. But you persevered. I have emulated your example. Why should I not wish to show my gratitude?"

It was clear that the homunculus was honest about one thing. It did admire Caster's will and saw them as kindred spirits.

--------------------

Gedo - Church

"Stop."

The word cut through the silence like a knife. From atop the outcropping of ruined ceiling, a figure appeared sitting on the edge, a handful of daggers trained on Maou's form.

"Explain yourself," Marauder said brusquely, eyes fixed coldly on her from behind his mask.

"It's all right, Marauder," Edmond said, emerging slowly from the back rooms. "She's an... associate of Abaddon's."

Marauder gave a curt nod, but despite lowering his hand, did not seem to relax as he continued to hold his gaze on Maou.

"Abaddon is not here at present," Edmond explained, gesturing to the back. "If you have no business here, I suggest you leave then."

--------------------

Payne, Noin - City Hall

Blunt and to the point. In Dowth's current state of mind, he rather preferred this method of negotiation.

"A noble gesture, I'm sure," Dowth said, smiling unpleasantly. "But, undoubtedly, you realize it's far too late for such considerations. Things will only continue to snowball."

He reached for the teacup and was unpleasantly reminded of Annabelle. Grimacing, he pushed it aside and reached under the drink tray beside him for a bottle of rich crimson liquid, which he poured into a goblet.

"Caster and her Master have no choice but to continue," Dowth continued, taking a large swig from his cup. "They'll be hunted down for their deeds by every magi faction on the globe. Obtaining the Grail might be their only hope."

Dowth paused, considering the rich wine in his goblet for a moment before draining the glass.

"And Saber... well, he's not going to stop till he wins, regardless of the stakes. You can be assured of that."

Repouring his glass, Dowth paused to consider his guest again, smirking with bitter amusement.

"Ah, and then there's the homunculus, who will continue to hunt each of you down whether you continue to fight or twiddle your thumbs," he laughed coldly. "I'm afraid, my boy, that you're just going to have to see this through to its inevitable, disastrous end."

Raising his goblet in a mock toast, Dowth took another long sip from his glass, wondering how liberation could feel so good.

--------------------

Payne, Noin - Streets

Calisa frowned at Lancer's assessment of humanity. Whatever her past, it must have left her with a sharply bitter taste in her mouth to have such a bleak view on life.

"I have to disagree," Calisa said, turning away to put her hands on the glass case and gaze at the beautifully carved instruments within. "I think the only way I really know how to express anything is in song."

Singing wordless melodies and haunting tunes that captured her true feelings had been the only method of escape she'd felt in the long, lonely years of her virtual imprisonment in the Lannister house.

But what about her claim to the ease of which one could kill? The Grail Games had started with a banquet and speeches of great cooperation, only to begin the next day with battles and slaughter.

Still, she'd come to know some of the competitors. And with that, she had found that there was more to them than she'd thought.

"You and your Master didn't kill me when you had the chance," Calisa said, catching her long hair as the wind tousled it and smoothing it along her shoulder. "Nor did Saber's Master. Or the Church's Moderator. If everyone's as murderous as you say, then we seem to have a paradox."

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:11 pm

Illya - Kaiserpfalz

There was an awkward silence as Caster attempted to digest the homunculus words, as if processing a code she could not understand. Coming upon realization on what was said Caster's eyes widen and then narrow, and then came laughter.

"Kuku, hahahahaHAHAHAHAHA!!"

A laughter fool of malice and hatred, a laughter coming from the depths of Caster's heart. As if a switch on turn on in Caster's head everything changed, Caster was no longer hesitating and no longer cared about the consequences, how dare this thing compare them, this thing!

"Hahaha! I see! I see! You say you know me, but you really only know my legend, you don't actually know how it went. I see! I see!"

Caster laughed and laughed like a mad woman, but she cared not, for this was both the most humiliating and humorous situation she was in."

"How irritating..."

Finally the laughter stopped and instead an intense glare of murderous intent is shot at Abbadon. Caster smiled, looking down on the homunculus.

"Do not compare me with you, doll! I AM THE ORIGINAL HUMAN! THE FIRST IN EXISTENCE! YOU ARE BUT A TOOL WHO DOESN'T REALIZE IT IS BROKEN! WE HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON!"

Caster's eyes were dark and full of murderous intent. Abbadon likely didn't understand, maybe he would never understand, however to say they are the same when Caster had to endure her decisions for the ages while it is only 'alive' for a couple of days and as yet to see any consequence for his actions. It was literally spiting in everything she did.

Last edited by jorgiguel on Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:44 pm

Jorg - Kaiserpfalz

Spoiler:

The tension in the atmosphere solidified instantly. Abaddon's smile froze on its face as a cold fury settled inside the homunculus' being. Slowly, it stood up from the root, its eyes fixed steadily on Caster with a steely gaze.

"How surprising. It seems the snake knows only how to bite."

That was quite unfortunate. For her.

"That's why no one shows favor toward you," Abaddon said softly, "That's why even your own Master, that silly little girl you've been trying so hard to coddle, will eventually turn on you."

Abaddon's smile grew more sinister as it widened, as though relishing the moment when that eventuality would occur.

"Because no matter how much you try to pretend, to hide it, to bury it, to forget it, we both know exactly what you are."

The homunculus vanished and appeared on the wall of the ruin, covering its mouth to stifle a giggle.

"I'll enjoy consuming your spirit, Caster. I'll make you truly curse your existence. And when I have no use for you, you'll die with no one and nothing... but regret."

Its last words echoed around the now empty ruins as Abaddon vanished, leaving Caster alone in an unsettlingly prophetic way.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:03 pm

Maou [Chapel]

... "Ehhh?" She paused and scratched the back of her head, a bag of cereal rustling. Even casually, her blazing eyes pierced straight through whatever she looked like. Edmond was the unfortunate victim this time. "Well I guess it's good that it's going out on its own. ... I suppose I could... nah. You'll only end up like that woman following this path." She sought out a table and put down the baggy of fruity pebbles. "A humble gift since she probably forgot to enjoy the simple things of life. You probably don't either, but well that's your fault. And you!" She looked up and pointed at Marauder. "The fact that you didn't attack instantly... Abbadon was a fool for mixing Assassin with a knight class. That hesitation makes you weaker than any single servant." She scoffed with a cocky grin. "Not to mention a tool having another tool  for a Master."

Half-expecting an attack, she stood there for a moment. "Well if I'm not here on business, I suppose I could always stay for pleasure." And then she leaned against a wall. "The hell do you guys do for fun around here?"
Back to top Go down
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
Payne

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:23 pm

Illya, Noin - City Hall

Logan sat in silence as Dowth spoke, taking the occasional sip of his tea. Even after the other man was finished, his face remained impassive, but as he gently placed his tea cup back on the table, Logan looked up at Dowth with cold eyes. "Forgive me, but I didn't ask for your opinion on my plans or reasoning. What I asked was whether or not it was possible for this Grail War to end in anything other than a failure, considering the actions of the homunculus." His words were lifeless, no anger, only cold logic. "Frankly, the situation of the other participants isn't my concern if this Grail War is already effectively over. Should the only available resolution remaining be the failure of said War, I will facilitate that outcome sooner, rather than later."

"So." He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees and letting his chin drop on top of his fists. "As the one with the most knowledge of the ritual process, I want your professional opinion. Can a Grail War in which the homunculus has gained sentience end in any result other than failure?"

Illya, Noin - Streets

A sad smile crossed Lancer's face as she continued to watch Calisa look at the instruments. "I once thought that same way as you do now." She responded, a mixture of sadness and amusement in her voice. "But I was a younger woman then, and I took much for granted. Perhaps too much..."

She turned her attention back to the instruments for a moment, letting silence fall between them before she spoke again. "Killing your enemy is not always the best course of action at the time, nor is it always the most horrific. You might do well to remember that. There are far worse outcomes than death..." Her voice wavered slightly at the end, but it didn't lose any of its power.

"That aside, my Master has his own reasons for not taking your life, and I am entitled to be understanding of that... For as long as the path he takes doesn't lead to his own destruction." She spoke the last sentence in a different tone, a warning.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:02 pm

Gedo - Church

Marauder gazed silently at Maou, seemingly unperturbed by her statement. But the moment she turned her focus to Edmond, there was the cold feeling of metal against her throat as the Servant appeared behind her, ready to slit her throat in an instant.

"Marauder!" Edmond barked, staying the Servant's hand. Marauder stared at Edmond for a moment before relenting.

"Overconfident," he said flatly before leaping back to land on a pile of rubble some yards away. Edmond stared irritably at the Servant for a moment. Abaddon had decided that the next High Servant would need a bit more cunning and intellect to pose a threat. But that seemed to make it rather unwieldy, placing more confidence in its own judgment than its Master's.

"We have no need for 'fun,'" the cultist said dismissively, turning his attention back to Maou. "We're here for a purpose - to serve Abaddon. That is our only desire."

If Marauder disagreed, he made no point of saying so. If truth be told, enjoyment seemed to be a rather novel concept where he was concerned.

--------------------

Payne, Noin - City Hall

Dowth gave an amused snort at Logan's rudeness as he emptied the rest of his goblet.

"No wonder you've amounted to little more than a hired thug. Diplomacy is evidently not your forte."

But Logan was obviously not to be deterred. Sighing, Dowth set his glass aside and crossed his legs, leaning back away from Logan's probing gaze.

"Of course it can. The homunculi of the Einzburn's are designed to be sentient," he explained. "The intent was to allow the vessel to defend itself, or else they might as well have stayed with a cup. The problem is that this situation is unprecedented. Rather than its human functions breaking down as it prepares to become the Grail, it seems to be developing them."

Yes, therein lied the true dilemma. The Grail, passably human as it may be, was supposed to accept its purpose without question and give up its life to fulfill it. Who knew what it would be capable of if it were able to decide not to.

"In theory, it is still the Grail. Its function should not be inhibited by this development," Dowth said, more to himself than Logan as he turned his gaze outside the window. "But whether it will permit itself to be used in this function is highly unlikely. And attempting to force it to do so is liable to end in disaster."

A sentient homunculus was a non-issue. One that refused its function was quite another thing, especially if it had access to the mana of every Servant it absorbed.

--------------------

Payne, Noin - City Hall

Lancer seemed genuinely considerate as she spoke to Calisa, opening up ever so slightly about her feelings on death. But Calisa could only smile an ironic, bitter smile at that.

"I know that only too well. Death is at least an end, a fleeting torture of the flesh. Slavery and domination is a torture of the spirit," she said quietly. "That's why I entered these Games. I'd risk the former to escape the latter."

Perhaps they understood one another better. But it didn't make a difference in the end, really. They'd both do what the had to in order to reach their goals, and the other was standing squarely in the way.

"Don't worry. I know exactly where we stand," Calisa whispered, hugging her arms to her body as the wind picked up again.

Last edited by Prisma*Illya on Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:08 pm

Maou [Chapel]
She simply stood still, testing the patience of the Servant. Ironically, he was more docile than the other one. Ravager, was it? How he stayed so placant with Berserker's spirit... Well, this Berserker was certainly an exception. But as Marauder returned, Meira simply flipped her hair. Outside she was calm, but inside she was thankful. Her eyes had followed the movement to the barest of degrees, but her body couldn't act. "As my throat seems to be intact, my confidence seems appropriately placed. Unless the master orders, the dog won't attack." A pause. "Naturally that extends to the dog of a dog." A point that Abbadon wasn't even directly commanding Marauder. It was someone else.

But with the man's denial of any fun to be had, her attitude noticably drooped. It seems she couldn't rag too much on the "Master" of Marauder, otherwise the servant may take things into his own hands. "So that means if I wanna have fun it'll have to help out Abbadon huh..." A breif pondering, and then she snapped her fingers and stared at Marauder. "Got it. An open two-way mana transfer. You finish first and I win, getting a bit of your mana. I finish first and you win. I may not have much mana, but you get to crush my 'over-confidence' in this area, at least. Even if you lose, you'd get to wring out your frusterations against me, and we won't have any bad blood between allies." A devious smile, and then a side-long glance at Edmond. "I'm also willing to go double or nothing. You win too, and I'll throw in a promise to help you once if things get tight. I could have saved that woman, you know, and she in turn could have used a command seal to save Ravager. But she never was nice to me so..." A handwave to brush it off.
Back to top Go down
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
Payne

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:36 pm

Illya, Noin - City Hall

"I see..." Logan responded, ignoring Dowth's comment about being a hired thug.

He sat back and pushed himself to his feet. With that question answered, his path was determined, or rather, it was confirmed. He'd suspected Dowth's answer, but hearing it from the expert was affirmation of his fears.

"I appreciate you being frank with me. You've given me the answer I needed to choose my next course of action." Logan said as he turned towards the door. "For today, I have other matters that require my attention, but contrary to your statement, I'm not just some thug for hire. I'm the thug for hire, and I do have a code of honor. We'll settle our own differences another time, with Servants present, assuming Caster doesn't get to one of us first."

With that, he strode out the door and down the hallway to the exit. No one made as if to stop him, and as soon as he was out of the gates, Logan reached out to Lancer.

Where are you?

He waited a moment for her to respond and then nodded to himself, taking off in that direction.

-------------------------------------------------

Illya, Noin - Streets

Lancer was silent for a moment, looking over Calisa again with curious eyes.

"I think I finally understand what it is he sees in you..." She said with a sad smile. "It would be a shame to extinguish a life with so much spirit as yours..."

Her attention drifted for a moment as Logan informed her that he was on his way, and a quiet determination filled her eyes as she refocused on Calisa, washing away the compassion that had been there a moment before.

"I don't want you to be alarmed, but he'll be here soon." The tone that Lancer spoke with left no reason to question which 'he' she referred to.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:00 pm

Gedo - Church

Marauder folded his arms, eyeing Maou with a razor-sharp gaze. There was no point in setting her straight. If she made any move he felt to be threatening, he would react with order to strike it down. The only reason he had not slit her throat when he had the chance was because she had not been deemed a threat... yet.

Edmond attempted to mirror Marauder's cool indifference, but failed. His skin became paler than usual at her insult. A dog... how dare she speak that way!

But despite his loathing for her, the prospect of intimacy with her did not repulse him. After all, he did not see intercourse as an expression of love or even animal attraction. It was simply the highest form of power derived from the raw pleasure of the human body. A ritual - wonderful in its way - but only a ritual, nonetheless.

"Your proposal is... intriguing," he murmured, looking thoughtful. He hesitated to do anything without Abaddon's consent, but this would be in service to it, of course.

"Marauder, keep watch," Edmond ordered. "I shall be preoccupied."

With a gesture of his finger, Edmond bade Maou to follow him into the back chambers.

--------------------

Payne, Noin - City Hall

Dowth watched Logan depart, smirking amusedly to himself. Apparently, no one was any privy to the change in diplomacy that had occurred that morning. Well, he had no intention of gift-wrapping that information. Let the thug figure it out.

"Too late to find her, I expect," he murmured, running a hand through his hair. Even if he could, there was the possibility that Logan would still be spying to see where he was going. After all, the other man still thought he was a Master.

Dowth reached for his goblet, ready to take another swig, but paused, staring at his reflection in the glass.

"A perfect opportunity... wasted."

Angrily, he tossed the glass against the wall, where it shattered into countless glistening pieces.

------------------

Payne, Noin - City Hall

"Huh?"

Calisa blinked in astonishment at Lancer's words, trying both to register them and understand how they made her feel. But there wasn't much time before Lancer seem to become unfocused, and Calisa felt sure she was communicating with her Master.

"...he'll be here soon."

There was no need to explain. It could only be Logan.

Calisa took a step back, considering her best escape route. But after a moment, she relaxed and smoothed away her concerns.

"That's fine," she said quietly. "Maybe we should meet after all."

Logan wouldn't make a move against her here, she felt. Even if he did, he'd be surprised to see that Caster's training had brought her a long way. Not just to make her into a proper Master... but to make her someone who wouldn't have to run away anymore.

--------------------

Annabelle's apartment

"Caster is a problem."

Saber looked up in surprise as Annabelle contemplated the scenery beyond the glass pane.

"Hardly. My class is her natural enemy," he said dismissively. Annabelle turned her head slowly from the window to stare at him.

"I see that you and grandfather are not so unalike as I thought. Brash assumptions run deep in both of you," she said critically. Saber frowned, but made no response. Annabelle didn't seem to want one either.

"Allowing Caster time to build up power was a fool's mistake," the blonde girl sighed. "She might have a been a non-issue at the beginning, but now... We don't even know her Noble Phantasm. It could undermine your whole advantage."

Annabelle's constant stream of criticism seemed to make Saber swell up with indignation.
"It doesn't matter," he said gruffly. "I don't lose. Whatever Caster has up her sleeve, it won't be enough."

Annabelle watched him contemplatively before rising from her seat.

"I guess we'll find out tonight then," she replied, drawing the curtains shut.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Grail Games IC   The Grail Games IC - Page 29 Clock11

Back to top Go down

The Grail Games IC
Page 29 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next