Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~Welcome to the new stage of roleplay~

HomeSearchRegisterLog in

Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
NoIn-LoKi
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
NoIn-LoKi

Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:58 pm

Mithras’ Castle

Vayu frowned when Bastion didn’t answer his question. What was up with him? This didn’t make any sense…

Nevertheless he listened as the conversation between Asclepius and Bastion went on. And the longer it went on, the more uneasy he felt. Shutting off parts of the brain? All this sounded very fictional to Vayu.

Without giving any more information, Asclepius began ignoring them, a clear sign to leave. With one last glance back, Vayu followed Cleo and Bastion out into the hallway.

„Why do you support this, Bastion?“ he asked. „Help me understand how you can be okay with this?“

He shook his head. „I find this difficult. That doctor or demon or whatever, he didn’t give us one bit of reasoning why his things are working. There was no proof, no science, no facts. Why doesn’t that make you hesitate?“ he asked. „You trust all his jumbled up words? And what Mithras is doing? Creating mindless slaves that worship him? Do you really think he cares about anything else other than being worshipped?“

„If Mother Harlot really came, don’t you think he would immediately sacrifice all these people to save his own skin?“
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:10 pm

Mithras’ Castle

- Bastion -

Bastion bit his lip. “Of course, I’m not happy about all this. But we don’t have the luxury of looking for ideal solutions! The Vanguards are spread too thin, and Mother Harlot’s power is too strong and vast. Unless we start finding other ways to combat her, we’ll lose this war.”

He was distracted by his gauntlet, and a moment later, he’d brought out Principality, who tutted softly.

“Dear child, simply because you don’t understand something doesn’t mean it’s not understandable,” the angel mused. “Especially for one who can’t even claim to read.”

“Prince!” Bastion chided, but the angel pressed on.

“He should have started in the soul to begin with,” Prince went on smoothly as though he hadn’t heard, casting a look back at the lab. “It’s been known to us for some time that removing will can prevent a human from falling to sin and temptation. I even heard that there was once a song that, if sung by a human who had shed their humanity to become an angel, could cleanse any who heard it of their will. Ah, if only, if only…”

A song? Bastion frowned, contemplating this, but the angel went on.

“Asclepius might be able to find and excise will from the soul, but his method is far too slow and cumbersome. Still, it will have immediate use if he succeeds. We will wait to see.”

The matter seemed decided, as far as he was concerned. When Vayu asked about Mithras, though, Bastion gave him a glance before replying, remembering what the angel had said.

“Mithras wouldn’t do that,” he said quietly. “Not out of goodness, but out of pride. Doing that would prove that he’s unworthy of worship, unworthy of being called a god. He’d never submit to Mother Harlot. That’s… well, that’s something, isn’t it? For now, at least…”

At least, until they could find a more efficient, more permanent solution…

~Vae Victis - The Black Lily Blooms~
Back to top Go down
https://rpbastion.forumotion.com
NoIn-LoKi
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
NoIn-LoKi

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:51 am

Mithras’ Castle

Choice: A - Return to help Ryoko against Mithras (it might turn into B - if she’s a ***** about it)

Vayu glared at Prince, but left his comment unanswered.

„There has to be another way to win this war. The solution, however temporary it might be, can’t be to turn humans into soulless beings,“ he said, sounding almost pleading. „Taking away human will is taking away their humanity. I’m here to protect humans and that includes everything about them, even if they aren’t perfect.“

He could see that there was nothing more he could do or say.

„Bastion, please know this: I’m not going against you, I just don’t agree with your decision and ultimately, I have to do what I feel is right,“ there was hurt in his voice.

„I hate that we’re splitting up and I hate to leave you here alone, but I won’t force you to come with us, if that’s truly what you believe,“ he added with one last glance at Prince.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:33 pm

Mithras’ Castle

- Bastion -

Bastion looked away at Vayu’s words. “It’s not the solution I want either. Killing Mother Harlot - that’s what we need to do. But we can’t.  Not yet, anyway. And until we can, we have to stop her however we can.”

When Vayu started to walk away, he finally looked up, his expression pained.

“I know you’re not,” he said softly.

Vayu was trying, but he couldn’t really understand. He hadn’t felt the true evil within her that coursed through Bastion the moment she killed him. It was terrible, terrible, worse than anything he could have imagined. Seeing that happen to his teammates, to Chaldea, to his father… he wouldn’t let that happen.

Prince spread his wings over either side of Bastion, and the same warm, soothing sensation he’d felt surrounded in the spiral of angels after his death washed over him.

“Come now,” the angel said calmly. “We’ll need to speak to Mithras… and prepare.”

————————

The Wastelands

- Cleo -

Cleo made a beeline out the nearest exit of the castle, brushing past the guards. Evidently, they’d been given instructions to let the Chaldeans have free movement, because they stepped aside without any objection. Once outside the gates of the town, though, they were firmly shut behind them, and the demon guards atop scowled back at them.

“Let’s go,” he finally said to Vayu, heading out across the wastes toward the ridge. Ryoko had said their camp was on the other side, and sure enough, they found a battalion of demons waiting their, a large chunk being Ryoko’s own oni that she’d brought with her into the Ring of Gaea. Like Mithras’ guards, they must have been given instructions ahead of time, because they didn’t stir or confront the Vanguards with anything more than glares, grunts, and grumbles.

When they approached the tent in the center, Ryoko stepped out and sized them up. Even with her mask on, it was easy to see her eyes crinkle in an amused smile.

“Two out of three. Better than I expected,” she mused. “And you even scraped off that little maggot Bifrons. That deserves a toast.”

She waved them inside the tent Though it had no chairs, it did have a crude wooden table with a flask on it, which she poured into two equally crude mugs.

“It’s strong, for humans at least, so don’t get drunk off your asses before you’ve done any good.” She peeled off her mask and raised her own cup. “Welcome to the Ring of Gaea, if only for the day.”

Back to top Go down
NoIn-LoKi
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
NoIn-LoKi

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:16 pm

The Wastelands

The gate shutting behind him and Cleo with a loud thud sounded very final.

It didn't take them long to find the demon camp.Maybe because the demons and the Oni around Ryoko didn't try very hard to disguise themselves.

Vayu frowned at Ryoko. "I'm only here, because I disagree with him," he said and pointed his thumb towards Mithras' castle.

"That doesn't mean I agree with your cause."

Sceptically Vayu picked up the mug and carefully sniffed the liquid. He coughed. Working at the Devil's Cocktail, he thought he'd seen it all, but this proved him wrong.

Carefully he set the mug down.

"So do you actually have a plan?"
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:49 pm

The Wastelands

- Cleo -

Ryoko rolled her eyes at Vayu's remark. "Yes, I'm well aware. You made that clear after you refused me the first time."

After watching him sniff the alcohol and refuse it, she smirked. Cleo forced down a swig, even though it made him shudder.

"Lightweights," she mused, though even after she took a sip, a tiny tick briefly appeared in her jaw as she forced a straight face.

When Vayu asked if she actually had a plan, her eyes narrowed. "Oh, because I'm an oni, you don't think I can actually muster the brain cells to strategize. Yeah, I've got a plan. My army's going to storm the front gates." She waited half a beat to see if he'd react the same disparaging way he had before, then added. "While the three of us scale Mithras' castle to attack him in the throne room while he's distracted. With the three of us, Mithras doesn't stand a chance."

Cleo nodded slowly, then took another drink, wincing. "We've got a teammate up there who might even the odds."

"So he stayed to help Mithras, huh?" She shook her head. "Figures. Is that going to be a problem?"

Cleo glanced at Vayu, saying nothing.

Ryoko grunted, seeing where this was going. "All right, I know your type. You're going to get distracted holding back trying not to hurt your friend. So I'll fight him and keep him away while you two handle Mithras. How does that sound?"

"You won't kill him, right?" Cleo's eyes narrowed. "He's a pain in the ass, but..."

"I can't make any promises, not knowing what he might try," Ryoko replied. "But I'm not aiming to kill him, if that's what you're worried about."

Back to top Go down
NoIn-LoKi
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
NoIn-LoKi

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:32 pm

The Wastelands

Vayu shrugged and sat at the edge of the table.

"I don't know you, so I'm not assuming what you're capable of."

However, he frowned when he heard her idea.

"I'm on board with the second part of your plan, especially the part about not killing Bastion." he said, his voice firm.

"The first part...." he mused. "If you're working with what we saw and you send them straight at the gate, you won't even make it to the gate."
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:55 pm

The Wastelands

Ryoko folded her arms, red eyes sharp. "Well, I don't know you either, and yet, I'm trusting you with handling Mithras."

"Are you? It's not like you really have anything to lose with that. I mean, you were going to go in and fight all of us yourself if we hadn't come," Cleo said. "Even if we die to Mithras, that's two less people for you to deal with."

She managed a small smirk. "True enough."

When Vayu expressed concern about sending her forces at the gate, she just shrugged.

"So what? As long as they distract Mithras' forces, they've done their job. What, don't tell me you're worried about what happens to that lot?" She hooked a thumb toward the tent entrance. "They're demons. You chop them up by the dozens every day, don't you? At least, the ones you aren't imprisoning in those gauntlets of yours."

Cleo shook his head. "We kill demons when we have to. But only when we have to. It's not like we want to wipe out all demons or anything. We have demons that live in Chaldea, you know, demons who want to coexist with humans. Partners and friends of ours, even."

Ryoko's eyes widened. "You... do?" She faltered, then scoffed. "Get real. Demons and humans can't coexist. They're fundamentally incompatible."

Cleo just shook his head. "Maybe you should visit Chaldea and decide for yourself."

Ryoko just stared at him, the silence heavy. Then she shook her head and turned away. "The only way I'll end up inside Chaldea is if I bust down the gates myself." She scowled, lips pursed. "Anyway, save the sales pitch. We've got a job to do. Any more objections, or can we get started?"

Back to top Go down
NoIn-LoKi
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
NoIn-LoKi

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:19 pm

The Wastelands

"If that's what you want to use them for," Vayu said. "I figured they could've been used a little more effectively, but it is what it is..."

Her reaction to Cleo's words were quite surprising. Maybe there was more to her afterall.

"We both exist in this world," he commented. "Of course we can find a way to coexist, it's only a question of how much destruction will happen first."

Vayu hopped off the edge of the table and nodded towards Cleo. "No more objections. Let's go."

Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:43 pm

The Wastelands

Ryoko made a sour face at Vayu’s criticism of her strategy, but left it at that. At least, seemingly so.

As they exited the tent, Ryoko paused to survey the darkened sky, then slipped on her mask and nodded. “All right, you lot!” she called out to the band of demons. “On your feet.”

The oni immediately sprang to attention, the other demons a little less enthusiastically.

“You know your orders,” she told them. “Keep the enemy’s attention fixed on you for as long as possible.” Her gaze darted to Vayu a moment before she added, “And don’t be stupid about it and just throw yourselves at the front gate. If you die too quickly, this won’t work. Hit other locations as well, and pull back enough if needed to keep from being overwhelmed too soon.”

The oni crossed an arm over their chests and thumped it, while the other demons merely replied in a chaotic cacophony of voices. Ryoko avoided looking at Vayu while she led him and Cleo out of the wastes through a narrow passage while the demons scaled the ridge and marched out onto the plains.

“I hope you two know how to climb.” She shoved a set of ropes and climbing gear into their arms and stared up at the castle walls as they sneaked in closer.

——————————

Mithras’ Castle

Bastion paced restlessly through the throne room, chewing on the pad of his thumb. Even now, Cleo and Vayu must be conspiring with Ryoko. And though Prince had talked him into this path, he seemed to refuse to come out of the gauntlet in Mithras’ presence.

So here he stood, alone, in this strange place with this strange ally.

“At least one of you has sense,” Mithras mused from up on his dais. “Perhaps, there’s hope for the rest of Chaldea to start taking necessary measures against the Harlot’s spread.

“Perhaps…” he said uncertainly.

How would the Council take this report? Certainly, they’d been told to exercise their best judgment, and he had, but they surely hadn’t foreseen this outcome. For that matter, would they ever be able to work as a team again? Vayu, at least, seemed conflicted, but something had changed between him and Cleo, and invisible line crossed, and he wasn’t sure if there was any going back from it…

Back to top Go down
NoIn-LoKi
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
NoIn-LoKi

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:05 pm

The Wastelands

Vayu hid a smile when heard Ryoko's changed orders.

Without giving the horde of demons another glance, he followed Ryoko and Cleo through a narrow passage in the darkening light of the sky.

He pulled his scarf over his nose as they moved closer to the castle walls.

While still hidden from sight, Ryoko gave them some climbing gear.

"What makes you think we don't?" he asked, his voice amused as he took his time to inspect the gear, as good as he was able in the dim light. It looked well enough to withstand their climb.

"Well, I do," he commented. "You too, right, Cleo?"

"Also, please tell me you scoped out some info and we're not going in blind?" he asked Ryoko.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:27 pm

The Wastelands

As they sneaked up to the castle wall, Cleo and Ryoko prepped their climbing gear.

“Sure, I know,” he told Vayu. “I’m good with my hands. And feet.”

Ryoko just stared at him from beneath her mask before approaching the wall. Then she paused, catching him eyeing her, and stepped back. “No. You’re going first. You don’t need any distractions that might make you take a wrong move.”

Amused, Cleo shrugged and started up the wall first.

Vayu and Ryoko stared up after him, and when Vayu questioned her intel, she stopped to glare at him.

“You really don’t give me any credit, do you?” She snorted and continued climbing. “I told you about Mithras’ strength dependent on the positioning of the sun, didn’t I? We also know that locking up the people in their homes at night isn’t about their protection. It’s making sure none of them have an opportunity to realize and challenge him in his weakened state.”

She chuckled softly to herself as they moved further up, coming nearer to a window.

“I didn’t send that little maggot Bifrons in just to get rid of him, you know. And I already knew Mithras would never listen to anything he had to say.” She laughed coldly. “Though that would have been its own reward. No, there’s a reason Bifrons is Mother Harlot’s little spy. He can use a spell to transmit visual information remotely. I had him give me the layout of the castle when he got captured and led through it to the dungeon.”

She climbed up through the window after Cleo, then paused on ledge, forcing Vayu to cling to the wall and wait for her to move.

“Well?” She leaned in closer “Have I passed inspection, Mr. Vanguard?”

Back to top Go down
NoIn-LoKi
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
NoIn-LoKi

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:01 am

Castle Wall

They scaled up the wall in relative silence. Vayu was surprised to find how clearly Ryoko had figured out Mithras' intentions with his treatment of the people inside the walls.

Oh, you're warming up to her, aren't you? Catequil asked with a chuckle. Suddenly you see her as more than just a monster

Be quiet, Vayu replied in his thoughts, I always knew she was different from the usual Oni. She was in Bastion's report.

So you listened one time, and probably only because it was Bastion talking. Catequil still sounded amused bit then his voice became serious. Still, I would not reccomend letting your guard down.

I know. She's smart and ruthless.

They had reached their entrance window and Ryoko paused on the ledge to ask him a question.

"I was more interested in guard rotation, but your information will be helpful as well," he said, waiting patiently for her to move.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:01 pm

Mithras’ Castle

Ryoko stared down at Vayu from the window, eyes narrowed in her mask. He was harder to shake than she’d expected.

“I think you pass inspection,” Cleo said from behind, eyeing her.

With a furious glare, Ryoko whipped her legs away from the window and hopped off the sill, her hands tight on her hatchets. “Don’t mock me.”

He put up his hands. “I wasn’t.”

She eyed him uncertainly for a moment, then snorted and turned away. “This way. Follow me.”

They stole down the corridor, then paused at the sight of a guard moving down the next hall. Ryoko tapped a finger against her thigh in what seemed to be impatience, but after exactly twenty taps, she darted out in tandem with the guard turning his back on them. Streaking down another side corridor, they whipped out of sight before the guard had completed his route and turned back.

They repeated this a few times as Ryoko would pause, count off, then move out into the next passage in time to avoid detection. For an oni, she was quite good at relying on stealth and cunning instead of just brute strength.

When they reached the final passage, Cleo and Vayu found the sights familiar and realized they were outside Mithras’ throne room. Unfortunately, the last guard was not circulating, but rather, standing motionless in one place near the door. They could easily take him, but it would put anyone inside the room on alert and ruin the element of surprise.

Ryoko turned back to the two Vanguards and motioned back the way they’d come. “I’ll double back and circle around to the other side of the passage. When I give you the signal, move out - quiet but enough to catch his attention. I’ll take him out before he has a chance to do anything.”

Without waiting for conversation, she stole back and was out of sight.

Back to top Go down
NoIn-LoKi
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
NoIn-LoKi

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:06 am

Mithras' Castle

They were lead through the castle by Ryoko, who had done a better job of scouting than she'd initially let on.

Eventually they made their way to the throne room with a single motionless guard in front. This could be a problem.

Vayu gave Ryoko a long look when she proposed her plan. Then he looked at Cleo.

"Fine," he finally said. "Is she what you expected" he asked Cleo after the oni had departed.

It was better than one of them sneaking alone around the castle. They snuck back around where they had a good view of the guard waiting in front of the throne room. This should allow them to catch Ryoko's signal.

One guards, that seemed very little, considering that Mithras was so weak in the dark.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:40 pm

Mithras’ Castle

- Bastion -

Bastion paced restlessly, glancing toward the large balcony overlooking the town. The Ring of Gaea hadn’t managed to breach the city yet, but surely, the people must be frightened and concerned.

“Shouldn’t you be down there? Be a figurehead to the people right now?”

Mithras waved a dismissive hand. “There is no need for pageantry. The people know who protects them. When the dust settles, and the marauders are routed, they will see that they serve a mighty god.”

Bastion sensed Prince bristle, but otherwise decline to comment.

“Some mighty god, holed up high up here,” Bastion thought. Well, he didn’t need to be a god, or be particularly mighty, as long as he held the Ring at bay…

————————————-

“Is she what you expected?”

Before Cleo could answer, Ryoko stole around the corner and sidled along the wall before signaling. He stepped out as planned, and the moment the guard turned, she sprang into action. Leaping like a feral cat, she launched herself onto the demon’s shoulders, legs encircling its throat like a vice. Choked by the thighs constricting its windpipe, it could give nothing more than a frantic gurgle before Ryoko rammed her hatchet straight through its torso.

As she dropped to the ground in a crouch, the demon’s body fading, Cleo glanced over to Vayu with eyebrows raised. “Better.”

The footsteps of more patrols sounded in the distance, and they hurried over to join Ryoko. She waited for them to give a nod of confirmation, then threw open the doors.

Mithras looked around, seemingly too surprised to react as Ryoko’s hatchet hurtled through the air toward him.

With a clang, it collided with Bastion’s spear as leaped between them, then flew back as Ryoko yanked on its chain and caught it.

“So, you made it inside,” Mithras mused as though commenting on the weather. “I suppose that clumsy offensive outside is just a diversion for this little assassination party?”

Bastion stared at Vayu and Cleo, his eyes pained but his jaw set.

“Think whatever you want.” Ryoko pointed her hatchet at him. “We gave you the chance to give up on this little god charade. Now, we’re going to expose you for the weakling you are.”

Mithras rose into the air, his body glowing with maga. “Is that so? I will be happy to demonstrate your ashes as a warning to the next fool who doubts my power.”

Ryoko nodded to the two Vanguards on either side of her, then sprang forward. As expected, Bastion moved in to meet her, and his spear clashed against her hatchets once more, giving the other two a chance to get past.

Last edited by Prisma*Illya on Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NoIn-LoKi
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
NoIn-LoKi

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:41 am

Mithras' Throne Room

Once the guard was down, things happened very quickly. Ryoko threw the doors open, followed quickly by a throw of her hatchet that was blocked by Bastion's spear. Of course.

Vayu avoided Bastion's eyes and instead focused on Mithras. When Ryoko started her offensive that was interrupted by Bastion, just as planned, the and Cleo moved around them on either side towards Mithras.

"We never doubted your power, but we still don't agree with your ways," Vayu said to Mithras and sprang into action, pulling out his ninjato sword.

He charged towards Mithras and with a swing of his sword unleashed his Confusion Wave. As he closed in he prepared for a backwards slash to strike Mithras.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:44 pm

Mithras’ Throne Room

- Bastion -

Ryoko’s hatchets slammed against Bastion’s spear again and again, chains twisting and slinking through the air, ready to serve as a distraction or a snare. The impact of the blows shuddered through Bastion’s arms, but he held his ground and kept her isolated to the front of the room from the other two.

“You’re not quite as weak as the first time I saw you,” Ryoko mused, twirling a hatchet before sending it flying at him.

Bastion blocked it and knocked it back toward her. “And you’re not quite so tough.”

“Heh.” A singularly humorless laugh dripped out from her mask. “I promised those two I wouldn’t hurt you. Don’t give me a reason to break that.”

At the back of the room, Mithras’ eyes flashed in indignation at Vayu’s words. “And who are you to question my wisdom, my ways? I am a god, little mortal.”

“You’re a nobody,” Ryoko taunted. “If you were worth anything, Mother Harlot would have come to break you herself.”

“Then I’ll send your body back as proof of her folly! Light of Order!”

With a raise of his hands, a pulse of maga emanated across the room. Bastion felt his power jump, his body straightening up, while Ryoko’s legs buckled like she’d been kicked in the back of the knee. Where she had been a rank above him in parameters, now the position had switched. With a snarl, he leaped forward and swung his spear, which crashed against her hatchets and send her staggering back a few steps.

“Unfortunately for you, I didn’t make any promises,” Bastion said, leaping at her again.

—————————————

- Mithras -

With his focus on Ryoko, Mithras didn’t have time to stop Vayu’s Confusion Wave, and he trembled slightly, clutching his head. As Vayu swept in and brought his sword around in a backward slash at the demon, Mithras brought his sword around and caught it just in time. He wavered for a moment, then gathered his maga and roared.

“Fatal Sword!”

The surge of maga from the blade drove Vayu back through the air, and Cleo caught him before skidding to a halt. “Easy, there. He may be downgraded, but he’s still tough. We need to play it smart.”

“Me…” Mithras muttered, clutching his head. “You dare try to afflict me! Asclepius!”

There was a delay before a passage opened up in the corner of the room, and the doctor stepped inside, sighing. “I was in the middle of something.”

“Nevermind that!” Mithras snapped. “This ailment. Remove it.”

Asclepius sighed again, and with a wave of his hand, the confusion effects dissipated in a sparkle of light. “If that’s all…”

“Remain!” Mithras ordered. “I’ll not have their filthy magic disgrace me again.”

Asclepius’ brow furrowed, but he didn’t bother to argue.

“That’s a problem. I can keep him tied up with Nightengale,” Cleo whispered to Vayu. “But then we’re down our own healer if push comes to shove. Unless you want me to tie him up and leave my Silkie to back you up.”

Back to top Go down
NoIn-LoKi
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
NoIn-LoKi

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:03 pm

Mithras' Throne Room

Vayu ground his teeth when he skidded back, blown back by the maga. And to make matters worse, Mithras called in Asclepius to heal him from the ailment.

From the corner of his eye, he caught the fight between Bastion and Ryoko. It didn't look good, but they didn't have time to focus on that right now.

"Let's hope Asclepius remains impartial," he whispered back to Cleo.

"My high pixie has healing capablities as well." he sounded thoughtful for a moment. "I think I want let Catequil handle it while we use our spells to cause as much distaction to Mithras as possible."

"You've got your katana with you, don't you?" referring to Cleo's Insidious Chime attack.

He took his stance again, raising his ninjato to point at Mithras. "I dare and I will do it again!" Vayu replied to Mithras. He charged at his opponent again, casting the confusion wave once more, but instead of attempting to strike Mithras he slid along the floor past him.

"And I also think, it's a bit dark in here," he added. And just like that lightning suddenly filled the room and Catequil appeared, pointing his clawed finger at Mithras. A second later a collossal bolt of lightning struck down on the demon while Catequil charged in with his spear.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:21 pm

Mithras’ Throne Room

- Bastion -

Ryoko gritted her teeth as Bastion's spear hammered against her hatchets, driving her further and further into the corner away from the others. Though his brow was furrowed in concentration, a smile slipped out as Ryoko gave a gasp and doubled back under his assault.

"Someone's gotten a little big for his britches," she sneered. "You really think that's enough to best me? Demonic Nature of Oni!"

With a cry of anger, maga flared up around her, casting a reddish aura about her body. Now Bastion had to backpedal as the power boost brought them back on equal footing. But as Ryoko surged forward and swung her hatchets, it wasn't just Bastion's spear that caught them, but Prince's staff as he manifested beside his master.

"Crosswinds," the angel said, his voice almost sing-song, as a gust of wind surged in a circle around him and slammed back against Ryoko, driving her away.

"Two on one, huh?" Ryoko growled and tossed her mane of hair back. "Go on then. See if that's enough to beat me."

"Come, Bastion," the angel said. "Let us hurry and dispose of this filth so we can corral your impetuous teammates."

—————————————

- Mithras -

Cleo gave Vayu a wing and produced his nagai shi, striking the handle with his palm. "Insidious Chime."

The bell jingled, and the sound amplified as Vayu rushed in and unleashed his Confusion Wave once more. But Mithras had his own ailment ready and flourished his hand into the air.

"Solar Flare!"

A blinding light flashed from his skin, and Vayu and Cleo winced and doubled back. Catequil, however, blazed into the room in a burst of lightning that canceled out the light, allowing him, at least, to react in time to fire off a bolt of lightning down on Mithras. The god refused to move, however, choosing to retaliate instead toward the group.

"Sunspot!" he called, and a ball of fire like a miniature sun manifested in midair before exploding and sending a wave of fire on the three.

Mithras collapsed under the force of Catequil's spell, but it only took a moment before two flashes of light healed all his wounds, and he arose once more unscathed and unafflicted by ailments.

"If you rely on me too much, I'll run out of maga quickly," Asclepius complained with a sigh.

Back to top Go down
NoIn-LoKi
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
NoIn-LoKi

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:40 pm

Mithras' Throne Room

Blinding light suddenly filled the room. Vayu crouched and skidded backwards towards Cleo. However, he could still hear the bold of lightning connect, evidenced by the smell of singed skin and clothes that accompanied it.

"I didn't mean that much light," he called out snarkily, bright spots still dancing before his eyes.

Before they could re-group and attack again, Mithras called down an exploding ball of fire. With his vision still not fully recovered, but knowing at least Cleo was behind him and he was standing between Mithras and the fight at the entrance door between Bastion and Ryoko, he braced out both hands.

"Arcane Barrier!"

The invisible barrier didn't mitigate the flames or the explosion fully, but it halved the effect.

"Catequil!" he called out in his thoughts. "Activate your resistance spell."

His recent attacked hat taught him two things: Mithras did not care for anyone but himself and he would happily sacrifice anyone, including his allies like Asclepius, for his victory.

"You noticed that too, right?" he asked Cleo. "You think if we attack faster than he can be healed, we'll stand a chance?"

Now totally immune to any more fire that Mithras might throw out, Catequil focused on the sun deity once more and accompanied by a roar of thunder attacked with his spear again.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:15 pm

Mithras’ Throne Room

- Bastion -

Ryoko growled beneath her mask, cursing her two opponents. Though she would be loathed to admit it, they moved with a graceful synchronism, darting in to strike or block the moment they gave each other an opening so that they never got in each other's way. And as the surge of power from her oni blood began to bleed away, keeping pace with them grew more difficult.

Backflipping, she swiped one of her hatchets in front of her, trying to give herself some space. "Shadow Rend!"

The wave of curse magic sliced its way across the floor toward them, but the angel threw out his wings with a scoff and neutralized it with a barrier of light that burst from its wings. "Void Dark!"

Bastion darted past the angel, and his eyes darted with a unusual gleam directly for a point she couldn't see by her hands. Her struck with a precision as though his hands were guided by a homing system, and even as she brought up her hatches to block, his spear slammed against them at just the right angle to jar them right out of her hands. As they flew wide on their chains, she forced power into her legs and sprang back to avoid the swipe that followed up, missing her by inches as she took to the air.

That moment, that one moment in the air, she was completely helpless. And Prince knew that. With his staff braced in both hands, he pointed it straight at Ryoko's heart.

"Holy Arrow."

The shaft of light surged through his staff and flew like a an arrow straight at her heart, empowered to strike down those aligned with Chaos, just like her. A fitting end.

-------------------------

- Cleo -

Cleo spun away instinctively from the light, though not quickly enough to stop the blinding effects. Thankfully, Vayu's Arcane Barrier stopped the worst of the attack that followed, though not enough to stop them from being blasted back.

Flat on his face, he swore under his breath and pushed to his knees as Vayu recovered beside him.

"You noticed that too, right?" he asked Cleo. "You think if we attack faster than he can be healed, we'll stand a chance?"

He must mean Asclepius. "Yeah, assuming our own stamina lasts long enough, but-"

His eyes fell on Ryoko as she dueled against Bastion and his angel, and his heart skipped a beat as he saw their two-pronged attack fall into place, saw the arrow of light that would strike her down.

She was oni.

She was a lady in distress.

She was from the Ring of Gaea.

She was their ally.

He threw out his hand toward her, calling out, "Bait and Switch!"

The next moment, Ryoko was on her knees beside Cleo and gave a start. "What the-?"

Now in mid-air, in her place, Cleo attempted to twist, but not fast enough. The arrow missed his heart but struck between chest and shoulder, sending him spiraling into the wall.

"Cleo!" Bastion gasped, frozen in shock.

Before Vayu could do anything, he felt like an invisible hook had caught him and tugged something within. Maga spiraled out from his body and flew over to Asclepius, who caught it and absorbed it into his body.

"Your donation is appreciated," Asclepius mused.

Meanwhile, Mithras had flown of his dais with a cry and rushed to meet Catequil's spear with his blade.

"Less god though you be, why do you lower yourself to serve humans?" Mithras demanded, parrying each strike before retaliating with slashes of his own that clashed against the spear's shaft. "Turn on that boy, strike him down, and I shall allow you to be my general."

His blade glowed as maga siphoned into it, and he drove back the other demon with a powerful strike.

"And if you enjoy playing with humans so much, you can take your pick of the villagers. Let them grovel and serve you instead as is right and proper!"

Back to top Go down
NoIn-LoKi
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
NoIn-LoKi

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:53 pm

Mithras' Throne Room

Vayu grimaced at Cleo's remark. Clearly he hadn't been convinced of his statement either.

While Vayu returned his focus back on their primary opponent, his attention was drawn to Cleo who had just called his bait and switch spell. He turned his head just in time to see Prince's Holy Arrow impale Cleo on the wall.

"Cleo!!" he called out and wanted to rush over, but Asclepius spell stopped him and Vayu buckled over, feeling his energy drain out.

"Catequil!" he called out in his mind. "I need you to return."

The demon growled in disagreement. He charged his spear with lightning to meet Mithras' blade head on as they clashed again and again. "I'm not like you," Catequil growled at Mithras.

"Now!" Vayu fought to his feet and snapped his fingers. Catequil disappeared just as Mithras blade sliced down towards him. Instead the High Pixie appeared before Vayu.

"Go! Go save him," he said, feeling out of breath. "Get him to summon Silky and then you both save him together."

The High Pixie fluttered over to Cleo to remove the spear and cast its healing magic over him.

"And you," Vayu said and grabbed the startled Ryoko by the shoulder. "You can take his place," he said and pointed at where Catequil had just disappeared in front of Mithras. Tightening his grip, he summoned his reserves and cast his Synchro Gift spell on Ryoko.

"I will deal with him," he added in a serious voice and turned to face Asclepius.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:01 am

Mithras' Throne Room

Bastion stared, white-faced, as Prince's Holy Arrow dispersed, and Cleo crumpled to the ground with a terrible groan.

His angel, however, gave little response except a soft tut as he turned to ascertain where Ryoko had gone. When he spotted the High Pixie fluttering through the air toward Cleo, however, he intercepted her, throwing out his staff to impede her progress.

"I don't think so," he said calmly. "We don't need him rushing back into the battle."

Bastion started, turning away from Cleo's twisted expression. "What? We can't just-"

"Think, Bastion." Prince faced him, his expression both soothing and scolding. "Though we did not get the most desirable target, we've reduced their numbers nonetheless. If we just allow him to be healed, at best we reset the board. And at worst-"

"Let her pass." Bastion couldn't quite face the angel as he said so, but his tone left no room for argument.

Prince wavered a moment, saying nothing, then slowly floated aside to let the High Pixie pass. Even as she worked her magic, neither of them said a word or faced each other.

-------------------------

- Ryoko -

Mithras laughed mirthlessly as Catequil was recalled back to Vayu's gauntlet. "No, you're not like me. Return to your little cage now, feeble god."

Ryoko glared at the pompous god from behind her mask, trying to formulate some double-pincer move, when Vayu abandoned her to go after Asclepius, telling her to cover the deity by herself.

"Are you kidding me?" she blurted out as he hurried away. Not that getting rid of the healer was a bad idea, but still...

"Afraid to face me alone, little half-breed? You should be," Mithras laughed.

Ryoko gripped her hatchets tightly in her hands, eyes narrowing. "You're going to wish you were still facing two of those humans instead of one of me."

With that, she leaped into action, sending one of her hatchets hurting straight for Mithras' face. He blocked it with his blade as she sprang to the side, sending the other slicing horizontally through the air. He swiveled to block it, but with a yank of the chain, Ryoko sent the first plunging down from above.

As the clash of blades rang in Vayu's ears, he closed in on Asclepius. Though the healer eyed him warily, he made no attempt to move or retreat. "Do you intend to kill me?" he asked. "Sadly, though I learned to treat even death itself, I could not do so for myself."

Back to top Go down
NoIn-LoKi
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
NoIn-LoKi

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:12 am

Mithras' Throne Room

After being let through, the High Pixie began casting its healing spell on Cleo, trying to close the wound.

Cleo groaned as he regained consciousness.

"Please, summon your Silky" the High Pixie pleaded, his blood stained hands pressed on Cleo's wound while its maga flowed through.

A moment later Silky appeared beside the High Pixie. Her hands covered her mouth in shock when she saw the state of Cleo. A look around told her in an instance of what must have taken place. Bastion's still ashen face told her enough.

Immediately her hands replaced the hands of the High Pixie on Cleo's chest and she took over healing him.

With a nod, she released the other demon, who was already looking anxiously towards the other fight.

"Cleo is in good hands now," the demon related to Vayu.

Vayu still stared at Asclepius. "Your death is meaningless to me," he said. "All I care about is that you don't interfere and if it takes your death to accomplish that, then so be it."

He could hear his Pixie's thought interfere. With a snap of his fingers he released Catequil once again, who was rearing to go.

"Power Bind," the demon roared and with his spell he immobilized Mithras as well as Asclepius, allowing both Vayu and Ryoko a window of opportunity. In the next moment, he raised his spear, ready to strike again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise   Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise - Page 2 Clock11

Back to top Go down

Standard Mission: The Price of Paradise
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next