Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~Welcome to the new stage of roleplay~

HomeSearchRegisterLog in

Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat

Go down 
+2
madarrao
Nexius
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage

Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:28 am

fool Caster is not awesome, he is COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

ah, i still can't help but laugh how Caster and Ryu were the only pair that died happy
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:38 am

I'm a person of semantics. A good character is not dependent on action, but an awesome one is. I don't throw out the term just to mean something that I like.

Caster was not awesome. He was vile. Berserker had some cool action sscenes, but nothing spectacular.

To me, awesome is Shirou blowing away Berserker Alter with Nine Lives Blade Works, or Saber Alter vs Rider, or just Dark dakura/Shadow. Or Kotomine vs Shirou in HF. It has to be moments that really blow you away.

~Vae Victis - The Black Lily Blooms~
Back to top Go down
https://rpbastion.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:46 am

so Barney Stinson isn't an awesome character since he has no action scenes? :0
Back to top Go down
Shadow-Heart
Amateur Author
Amateur Author
Shadow-Heart

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:49 am

Lol that Bro had a cool pad Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 2382268751

all that effort to get that Canadian woman and in the end.. All that build of up for the Architect and in the end...  well either ways I did enjoy the show overall.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:51 am

No, he's not. I don't care much for the show anyway. Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 2332200876

Back to top Go down
Shadow-Heart
Amateur Author
Amateur Author
Shadow-Heart

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:51 am

and no she doesn't think people need be awesome only based on action scenes in every aspect.
Only in F/Series they needed be... I think. other than that people can be awesome in other media as well based on overall action (what they do, how they present themselves, and interact with others, not only fighting).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:54 am

Shadow-Heart wrote:
and no she doesn't think people need be awesome only based on action scenes in every aspect.
Only in F/Series they needed be... I think. other than that people can be awesome in other media as well based on overall action (what they do, how they present themselves, and interact with others, not only fighting).

she just answered otherwise
Back to top Go down
Shadow-Heart
Amateur Author
Amateur Author
Shadow-Heart

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:58 am

lol.. this is why I don't take anything literally.. just enjoy everything life has to offer or find in it what's good for you. Every-time one tries to go deep into the meaning of it all.. they may find obstacles that didn't need be there in the first place.. That is my opinion. :/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:02 am

hmmm i half agree with you. one should not take something literally, but that has nothing to do with going deep on things
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:02 am

Again, to be awesome is to be different than just likeable.

I like Rin because she has a wonderful, complex personality and great intelligence. She's awesome because she goes toe-to-toe with Caster and wins and manages to recreate the Second Magic. I'd still love her character even if she didn't, but I probably wouldn't say she was awesome.

Although her scene saying she gave Shinji "knuckles" was amazing lol.

Back to top Go down
Shadow-Heart
Amateur Author
Amateur Author
Shadow-Heart

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:07 am

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=epic

An Extract wrote:
Using words like "epic" to describe how extremely impressed you are by everything has ruined the word. If everything is epic, nothing is epic.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:11 am

Exactly. To be awesome, or epic, it really has to impress me enough to leave a lasting impression.

And I have to admit, a lot of Fate/Zero was soured to me by the excessive fanboying about the anime series.

BROSKANDER!

ORIGINAL GOLDEN!

CASTER COOOOL!

Ugh. Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 2332200876

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:15 am

as someone's who's studying languages and the history of language use

I can already tell you both, without using any internet sources that words are dynamic in nature. in other words, a word does not have a meaning that people use to express it, but rather a word is defined by what the general population uses it for.

Example: Gay's original meaning was "to be happy", now it is mostly used as an insult.
Example: Omnipotent originally meant "to be powerful", now it means to be limitless and perfect.

no one came forth and said for the words to change meaning, instead the population for thousands of reasons simply changed their use of the words.

as such words like epic or awesome do not mean what you two are trying to say, but rather mean what the population uses them for. If that meaning then happens to be the same as the one you use, good for you. If it doesn't, then you cannot expect others to agree with your view, since it is differant.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:17 am

welcome to language, where the public's opinion ACTUALLY matters
Back to top Go down
Shadow-Heart
Amateur Author
Amateur Author
Shadow-Heart

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:25 am

Deck the halls with boughs of holly, 
Fa la la la la, la la la la. 
Tis the season to be jolly, 

Don we now our gay apparel, 
Fa la la, la la la, la la la. 
Troll the ancient Yule tide carol, 
I knew about "gay" being meant happy but omnipotent, I never looked for its true meaning, I've only seen it being used for god-like powers or something like that (in comics and power pyramids)

For me, I just label things how I feel at the moment. basically Epic, awesome, cool, great, fantastic, etc.. all point to the same felling for that particular item. Sure that can be confusing to others but meh for clarification, I can simply tell them that I really-like the thing in question and be done with it Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 2382268751
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:33 am

before you two take out your pinch forks, I will say that I am not saying that both of you are wrong. As I said words are dynamic, they do not have a static meaning to them. It is typically accepted that a word's meaning is what the general population use it for, because it is easier to clasify something based on how frequet it's used, aka the power of the many.

But this does not exclude the word's other usages, as it is dynamic, so long as you want you can use a word for whatever meaning you desire. You trully can. But this comes with consequences. Let's for example, i'll pull out an EXTREME example to make it more obvious.

Let's imagine that I decided that the word "****" for me ment the same as the word "friend" and I came up to someone and said "You're a real ****." which for me would mean the same as "You're a real friend." What I am doing is technacly not an insult, but what the other person will understand is not "You're a real friend." and will instead understand "You're a real ****." which is normaly an insult. The consequence for using a word for a differant meaning than what it is commonly used for in the general population is that it causes a lot of misunderstanding, and I mean a lot, many old wars happened from things as simple as this.

Now I did use an extreme case, picking two words which are normaly opposite to each other when used by people. But it's not like it's impossible for that to happen(just look at the word Gay, was a very possitive word and became a really negative word)

If you look back illya you will notice that I amongs all that poking fun of you, I never said that your view of what awesome was wrong. Simply because it's not wrong, just don't be surprised if you end up in dumb debates because of misunderstandings for using a word in a differant method of the general population.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:38 am

The general point of the story is. Words have whatever meaning you give them, but it's recommended to use the same as the general population uses to avoid getting into trouble
Back to top Go down
madarrao
Amateur Author
Amateur Author
madarrao

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:41 am

jorgiguel wrote:
before you two take out your pinch forks, I will say that I am not saying that both of you are wrong. As I said words are dynamic, they do not have a static meaning to them. It is typically accepted that a word's meaning is what the general population use it for, because it is easier to clasify something based on how frequet it's used, aka the power of the many.

But this does not exclude the word's other usages, as it is dynamic, so long as you want you can use a word for whatever meaning you desire. You trully can. But this comes with consequences. Let's for example, i'll pull out an EXTREME example to make it more obvious.

Let's imagine that I decided that the word "****" for me ment the same as the word "friend" and I came up to someone and said "You're a real ****." which for me would mean the same as "You're a real friend." What I am doing is technacly not an insult, but what the other person will understand is not "You're a real friend." and will instead understand "You're a real ****." which is normaly an insult. The consequence for using a word for a differant meaning than what it is commonly used for in the general population is that it causes a lot of misunderstanding, and I mean a lot, many old wars happened from things as simple as this.

Now I did use an extreme case, picking two words which are normaly opposite to each other when used by people. But it's not like it's impossible for that to happen(just look at the word Gay, was a very possitive word and became a really negative word)

If you look back illya you will notice that I amongs all that poking fun of you, I never said that your view of what awesome was wrong. Simply because it's not wrong, just don't be surprised if you end up in dumb debates because of misunderstandings for using a word in a differant method of the general population.

if you want an example, the word "Literally"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:43 am

hmm, what was the old meaning of that?
Back to top Go down
madarrao
Amateur Author
Amateur Author
madarrao

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:08 pm

the old meaning is probably the one you know, its just that now-a-days if used as a superlative it means its opposite.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:09 pm

oh, can you give me an example?
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:11 pm

How most people use a word doesn't make it correct. There are plenty of examples of that. But in this case, we're talking about a word whose use is subjective to begin with. So neither the people who use the term loosely nor the people who use it conservatively are wrong, regardless of who's in the majority.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:16 pm

words were created by the people, and the ones who control it's use are the people. as such it's the people who define how correct the use of a word is.

that is the base concept of language. :/

you not agreeing, does not make them wrong or correct. But as I said, because of the nature of words in general, you are also neither wrong or correct
Back to top Go down
madarrao
Amateur Author
Amateur Author
madarrao

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:23 pm

jorgiguel wrote:
oh, can you give me an example?

for the old/normal meaning, "the bonfire is literally on fire"

the new meaning is just that people used it wrongly so much it became a new proper meaning

like "I literally have the worst luck in the world"
Back to top Go down
Shadow-Heart
Amateur Author
Amateur Author
Shadow-Heart

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:24 pm

I was looking for some parody music, some female singers did about "words" but I found this instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt9-pW7ZCYY
the song tune sort of reminds me of classic Street Fighter music :p
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat   Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat - Page 25 Clock11

Back to top Go down

Chat Thread 18: Let it Chat
Page 25 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next