Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~Welcome to the new stage of roleplay~

HomeSearchRegisterLog in

Critical Mission II: The Three Trials

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Empty
PostSubject: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:42 pm

Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Shin-Megami-Tensei-Reflections-final

A report of an unusual mist has been sighted on the mountains near Chaldea. Investigate the source and remove it if possible.

~Vae Victis - The Black Lily Blooms~
Back to top Go down
https://rpbastion.forumotion.com
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:40 pm

It was Malak who started off the proceedings, as was the usual course of things.

“I’m sure, by now, we all agree that this course of fate can no longer be avoided. Whether for good or ill, they are all bound to play a role in the outcome.” He glanced around at his fellow Council members.

“Your point?” Talia narrowed her eyes. “You wouldn’t have prompted this line of discussion if you didn’t have a proposal in mind.”

Malak smiled. “Indeed. Though we’ve stayed our hand to prevent our wills from altering theirs, I think that time has passed. If they must face this, we may as well ensure they’re equipped properly to handle that.”

“You want to train them?” Talia’s fingers drummed the handle of her blade.

“Not quite yet. I’m not sure they’re prepared to truly learn under us. But they can, at least, learn from themselves. Once they master their minds and wills, then they can start to master their power and true potential.”

“The Trials of the Soul?” Caius frowned. “It could strengthen them, yes, but…”

“It could also break them.” Talia’s eyes sharpened. “Or push them further toward a point of no return.”

“Such is the nature of man - to bend or to break. We do them no favors allowing the Harlot or any number of demons out there from teaching them instead.”

Caius hummed softly to himself, eyes closed. “I take your point. Very well. Let’s see what they’re truly made of.”

—————————————————————————

The Vanguards received a mission prompting on their gauntlet, directing them to the nearby mountains to inspect the unusual mist that had suddenly sprung up there…

Back to top Go down
NoIn-LoKi
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
NoIn-LoKi

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:25 pm

Meeting Point - Gates of Chaldea

- Vayu -

Vayu tugged on the reins to motivate the horse walking behind him to speed up a little. He felt was already late to the meeting point. However, the auburn horse was not motivatedto walk faster behind her human.

Vayu looked around, trying to see who else was already at the gates. He and Bastion had to seperate after grabbing a bite to eat, each busy with their final preparation. In addition, he'd done a quick stop at the bar to leave Lavender with Rory, much to Nena's surprise. Thankfully, Rory had jumped at the opportunity and promised to take good care of her.

"Alright, made it," Vayu said when they finally arrived at the gate. He turned to his horse to check the saddle and his bags one last time before mounting it in one fluid motion.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:04 pm

Meeting Point - Gates of Chaldea

- Bastion -

Bastion already stood by the gates, Principality hovering beside him. The two didn’t notice Vayu’s approach, absorbed as they were in conversation.

“This doesn’t seem the best use of our time,” Prince said, arms folded impatiently.

Bastion frowned. “I can’t disobey a direct order from the Council.”

“No. Not yet.”

They looked around as the clopping of hooves got closer. With a cool look in Vayu’s direction, Prince vanished back into the gauntlet, leaving only Bastion to greet him.

“Should we wait for the others?” he asked, a touch of impatience creeping into his words. “Or start off? I suppose they can always meet us on the mountain.”

Back to top Go down
Dannytheman1
Simplistic Scripter
Simplistic Scripter
Dannytheman1

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:30 pm

Samael

A soft groan could be heard as a slightly bruised up vanguard showed up rubbing his head with a bit of a pained look.  His eyes seemed to perk up a bit at the sight of bastion and vayu a small smile showing up on his face as he greeted his two comrades.

"Sorry I'm late, I had a bit of a predicament I had to deal with."  Samael glossed over as his hand naturally placed on his gauntlet as the pained looked soon crossed over his face.  His attire was about the same if a bit wrinkled from its usually glossy and well ironed material.  A satchel hanging over its side containing the usual materials for a mission with a single book focused titled "How to train..." before it was cut off with a single dried petal from a mandrake that was sealed in tight plastic that was being used for a bookmark.

"It's been a while bastion, glad to see you again, it's just been one mission after the other with me." Samael stated with a smile as he turned to the nearby horse sizing it up for a moment, as his attention shifted to the mission at hand.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:16 pm

Mountain Path

- Bastion -

Bastion turned as Samael approached, but his greeting lodged in his throat at the sight of the other Vanguard. By the time Samael had greeted them, he finally found the words to speak.

“It’s good to see you, too. Are you… sure you’re up for this, though?” he asked tentatively.

When Samael assured them he was fine, Bastion gave Vayu a look before nudging his horse to the gate. Zephyr was still supposed to join them, but he’d probably arrive in his own timing as usual.

The journey to the base of the mountain took little time, and they soon found themselves staring up a mountain trail from which mist trickled down. Silence pervaded the area, and the hairs on the back of Bastion’s neck prickled at the memory of the village where they’d first encountered Mother Harlot.

“Be careful,” he told the other two. “Something strange is at work here.”

With a deep breath, he started up the path into the mist. All too soon, the mist grew thicker, and the path became harder to see.

“Prince, can you fly up and scout for us?” he asked to his gauntlet.

No reply came. Bastion stared quizzically at his gauntlet, then tapped it.

“He’s never failed to…” He glanced at the others. “Can you summon anything? I think… something might be sealing them.”

(Your gauntlets will be sealed as long as you’re in the mist. Any demons that were out before entering will be forcibly returned back to the gauntlet upon entering.)

Back to top Go down
NoIn-LoKi
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
NoIn-LoKi

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:38 pm

Mountain Path

- Vayu -

Vayu raised his eyesbrows at Samael but he gave the other Vanguard a knowing smile. He had an idea what had been happening to him.

They decided to leave, hoping Zephyr would catch up soon and made their way up the mountain path. Vayu yawned, stretching his arms. He sat relaxed on his horse, his eyes lazily drifting around the vegetation around them.

Bastion's voice pulled him from his daydreaming and he sat up a little straighter, looking around. The mist was getting thicker and thicker and he nudged his horse to keep closer to Bastion and Samael. The worst would be if they got separated in this mist.

He listened, but it was eerily quiet and that extended to the gauntlet and the connection to his demons. Even Catequil's voice, usually the loudest and strongest connection stayed quiet.

"No, I can't get a connectiong either," he confirmed Bastion's suspicions. "Can you still cast spells?" he asked.
Back to top Go down
Spiriter
Amateur Author
Amateur Author
Spiriter

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:51 am

Zephyr Arc - Mountain Path

Having opted against grabbing any modes of transport as his cohorts had... and having needed to take care of one more errand, the much awaited Zephyr was running late. He had decided to use the trick the others had seen perhaps a few times before instead; sailing through the air like a crazy human cannonball. It was functional, to say the least.

Just as the group made to walk ahead, a spear blade struck the ground from on-high. Silent, unlike the last time. Zephyr soon followed down behind it, hands firmly gripping the shaft. Perhaps he'd learned from the last time he made a rough landing?

"Sorry I'm late... I needed to find a pet sitting service." He said as he slung his spear over his shoulder and approached the group. A happy pixie sat on his shoulder. "Good thing Nena was happy to help out!" She exclaimed. Yes, happy to help for a hefty sum of babysitting fees. It was a good thing he received a good stipend from back home every month, he sighed internally.
Back to top Go down
Dannytheman1
Simplistic Scripter
Simplistic Scripter
Dannytheman1

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:57 am

Samael

Samael felt a chill down his spine, the sort that invoked memories of stampedes, as he turned his head up in the air to see a flying Zeyphr coming down towards them.  His eyes widened for a moment as he quickly prodded Vayu's tense shoulder.

"It's happening again." Samael stated in an worried look as he gestured to Vayu to look up. Only to see the barreling spear quickly lodging into the soft dirt only a few yards away from them, as Samael looked at each of the vanguards for a few moments glancing around the surroundings like something was about to happen before his body relaxed when nothing did.

"I see, well hopefully Goki can make friends with the new demon populace." Samael stated out of habit, as the image of Goki menacingly commanding an army of boar piglets while sitting in an over garnished warlord's chair, while holding a giant spiked club flashed into Samael's mind.

------

Samael walked into the mist as his body since to flinch from the coolness the mist made as the chilling water brushed up against his skin.  He felt bare, and vulnerable as he glanced down to his gauntlet for a few moments and observing it to see the thing not even move an inch.

"Yea, it's sealed alright.  It's not even shaking like it usually does." Samael muttered barely within earshot of his comrades.

He pulled out a mirror and glanced over his illusion for a second checking the visage for any imperfections.  There was tiny blemish a slight deviation in skin color that was his mistake and not even noticeable at a distance as he adjusted the illusion to correct it before pulling a notebook out of his leather woven satchel.

The vanguard held up a piece of paper conjuring up a hand drawn ghost that flew all over the paper before flying off it like a 2d drawing coming alive before fading away in the mist like it wasn't even there.

"Seems to be working still, though I know our spells were disrupted in the past.... we should be careful."  Samael commented his eyebrows frowned and his eyes narrow like his mind was in the midst of processing some complex puzzle.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:20 pm

Mountain Path

- Bastion -

Bastion shook his head as Zephyr descended into their midst. Could he not just arrive like a normal person?

But never mind him. They had more important things to worry about. Bastion lifted his spear and attempted to cast his Holy Horn, but the maga fizzled out.

“No offensive spells, by the looks of it,” he said to Vayu, then glanced Samael’s way. “Some spells appear to still be working, but it might only be a matter of time.”

He turned back, considering the path they’d taken. Perhaps it might be best to return, under the circumstances. But would the Council disapprove of so little intel?

“We might as well press in a little further and see if we can turn anything up,” he said. “But if any demons show up, it might be best to just retreat.”

With no objections from the others, they stole forward quietly, keeping their ears open for any noises. An eerie stillness and silence hung over the mountain, though, and the further in they went, the more it seemed they’d left the whole world behind.

The path finally plateaued in a place where the fog grew especially dense. Bastion turned back to the others, about to suggest they tie a rope around each other to keep connected, when he found the path behind him empty - at least, from the little he could see.

“Vayu? Samael?” He hesitated. “Zephyr?”

No response came. Unsure how to proceed, he lingered on the spot for a moment, straining to catch any noise to give him a hint, but none came. With a sigh, he attempted to move forward toward where the fog appeared to thin out. If they had any hope of repgrouping, that would be the best spot

The area appeared to be a small, circular grotto,, with two paths opening up ahead. A wooden gateway hung over each path, though neither gave any helpful indication where each path headed.

“You’ve arrived.”

Bastion whirled about, searching for whoever spoke, but he could find no one. “Who are you? What do you want?”

“To give you an opportunity to know yourself.”

“Know myself?” He scowled. “I know myself perfectly well, thank you. It’s you I don’t know.”

”Do you? I suppose we’ll find out. But I must warn you - there are consequences to blinding oneself to the truth. If you insist on stumbling through the fog of willful ignorance, there’s no guarantee you’ll ever emerge. But if you show yourself true, if you refuse to flinch or turn away from the truth… you’ll find a power you never knew.”

- Vayu, Samael, Zephyr -

Vayu, Samael, and Zephyr found themselves in the same grotto, faced with the same two wooden gates, alone save themselves and the voice that spoke to them its same promise… and warning.

Back to top Go down
NoIn-LoKi
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
NoIn-LoKi

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:25 pm

Mountain Path

- Vayu -

Vayu rolled his eyes as Zephyr once again dropped out of the sky when Samael called his attention to the incoming cannonball. Thankfully, he managed to make a more graceful landing compared to last time. So maybe he was making this a habit.

With the words of warning, regarding their magic, spells spoken, they continued on nonetheless as the mist grew thicker and thicker. Even his horse grew increasingly nervous, so he tried to emit a calm presence. And suddenly, he couldn’t feel the presence of the others anymore. Their shadows in the mist had disappeared.

For a moment he stopped. “What to do?” It took him a moment to realize, he’d spoken the words out loud. Great, he thought, the moment I can’t consult even my demon, I start speaking to myself. He decided to move on until the mist somewhat cleared and small grotto became visible with two paths leading further in.

“You’ve arrived."

“That was definitely not my voice,” he murmured and descended from his horse. A shiver ran down his spine. He gave the horse a calming pet. “Who is there?”

“I'm here to give you an opportunity to know yourself.”

“Can I still pass on that?” he asked, half-joking. He knew full well this was no accident he stumbled into and it certainly had something to do with the mist. “I kinda have to find my friends first.”

”Do you? I suppose we’ll find out. But I must warn you - there are consequences to blinding oneself to the truth. If you insist on stumbling through the fog of willful ignorance, there’s no guarantee you’ll ever emerge. But if you show yourself true, if you refuse to flinch or turn away from the truth… you’ll find a power you never knew.”

Vayu sighed. It seemed there was no turning back now if he wanted to escape the mist and find the others. He grabbed the reins of his horse and tied them loosely to a tree. Then he gave her another reassuring pet. “You’ll be fine,” he whispered in her ear.

Looking determined he turned back towards the grotto. “Let’s go then.”
Back to top Go down
Dannytheman1
Simplistic Scripter
Simplistic Scripter
Dannytheman1

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:38 am

Samael

Samael briskly walked into the deeper fog, carefully and cautiously glancing around the area to see if he could spot something unusual, something that sticks out of the fog. But soon, He was trying to see something, anything, but it seemed like no matter where he turned he could only make out the dense white fog.

"I wonder if a wind spell could do the trick, maybe if we cast it closer to the exit we can push it away" Samael muttered, as tilted his in the direction of his companions the cloak on his back letting out a slight breeze that shifted the fog around him slightly before it seemed like even more fog poured in... almost like he opened up a floodgate.

Samael began to shout in a louder tone, more desperate "Vayu, Zeyphr, Bastion? We should turn back and plan things out for now."

Samael didn't hear anything though from any of his companions, as he turned to look at his arm he could barely see, his skin showing slight goosebumps from the cold or fear? Samael began to walk back in the direction he supposedly came from when he heard a voice creep up on him.

"You've arrived."

Samael quickly pulled out his sword drawing his blade, as he saw his illusion over his body began to fizzle out. The maga around Samael's body began to twitch and rupture like the spell itself was overheating. his... her hands began to show without the illusion as Samael's eyes widened, his other hand quickly grabbing onto it as more maga poured onto the hand and the illusion reestablished itself.

"I'm hear to give you an opportunity to know yourself"

"Stop, just because I hide myself doesn't mean I don't know myself. I have my reasons for being secretive." Samael responded, as he whipped his blade out in front of him waiting for someone or something to appear in the mist.

Samael mouth turned into a pure scowl of unfiltered rage. His face turning red and his body shaking more and more by the second.

He needed to get out of here.
Back to top Go down
Spiriter
Amateur Author
Amateur Author
Spiriter

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:58 pm

Zephyr patted himself down and organized his clothing as he looked a bit quizzically at his allies expressions. Cherry, clearly understanding his lack of understanding, smacked her own face with a palm. Not paying any mind, Zephyr rested his spear on his shoulder as he began striding after the rest.

Samael continued to speak as they walked, while the fog roiled and thickened around them. Only a short while in, the backs of his cohorts faded into the fog... and Zephyr noticed belatedly that Samael's voice, too, had faded away at some point. A bit unnerved, he looked down at his shoulder, to find that the Pixie that was always perched upon it had also vanished into thin air.

"Samael? Vayu?" He called into the fog as he kept moving. It was clear from the group's earlier observations that there was something about the fog that affected Naga operations... so hopefully Cherry had only been returned to his gauntlet, but that didn't explain what happened to the others.

As he became increasingly more alarmed and alert, a voice cut through the silence.

“You’ve arrived.”

It spoke, expectantly.

Purely by reflex, Zephyr swing his spear with full force around him, cutting through the fog, revealing a small circular grotto with two paths opening up ahead. A wooden gateway hung over each path, though neither gave any helpful indication where each path headed. Yet, there didn't appear to be anyone other than himself present.

"Reveal yourself. Who are you, and where are the others?" He called out menacingly to thin seemingly nothing.

“I come to give you an opportunity to know yourself.” Came a reply almost immediately, the voice seemingly dispersed throughout the clearing.

Zephyr brandished his spear as he retorted. "I know enough. Return my friends and we won't have problems."

"Do you? I suppose we’ll find out. But I must warn you - there are consequences to blinding oneself to the truth. If you insist on stumbling through the fog of willful ignorance, there’s no guarantee you’ll ever emerge. But if you show yourself true, if you refuse to flinch or turn away from the truth… you’ll find a power you never knew.”

It seemed the voice didn't care for his opinion on the matter. Whatever it was going to do, it was going to do. Zephyr sighed internally as determination burned in his eyes. Guess he'd need to punch something to finish this one.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:50 pm

Mountain Path

- Bastion -

Bastion gave a start as something formed out of the fog, just beyond the two each of the two gates, images hazy like mirages. Behind the one, he saw a cluster of people - humans and various demons mixed together. There was seemingly nothing special about them. Whether human or demon, some appeared smiling, buoyant, and friendly, others quiet and peaceful, and others hostile, cruel, or even wicked.

But behind the other stood humans. Their faces, though different in appearance, all held one powerful thing in common - bliss. A peace and contentment that brought longing even into his own heart.

There were demons as well… but none of them stood. Their corpses lay at the feet of the humans, hewn and broken, wide-eyed and vacant.

“I ask you this: Would you purge all demons from the world, even those benign or friendly, to create a paradise for mankind? Or would you have demons and humans coexist, he good and the bad, even if it meant paradise remained out of reach?”

His feet turned before his mind had properly caught up with him. He found himself gazing into the faces of those blissful humans, keeping his eyes trained on them, as he ignored the impulse to look down at bodies he tread upon.

Ignoring the little voice that asked if Mongo and Nena lay somewhere in this pile…

————————————————————————-

- Vayu -

Behind the two gates standing before Vayu, images began to form. On one side, a crowd formed around a lone finger, their faces uplifted in delight and admiration, respect and adoration. It took a moment for Vayu to register the figure of their attention as himself. But despite the praise, his face remained downcast, screwed up against some pain within.

On the other side, the crowd stood with their backs to him, not even bothering to give him the attention of their disdain. But his head stood uplifted, a peace and resolution glowing forth.

”I ask you: Is it better to fulfill the expectations of others, even if you fulfill none of your own? Or is it better to fulfill your own goals and values, even at the cost of others’ respect?”

- Samael -

”Oh, that’s no good,” the voice chided Samael. ”If you can’t even control your emotions, how can you expect to control the course of your future? Perhaps, we expected too much, too soon.”

Images appeared behind the two gates. On the left, a group of people mingled with plastered pleasant smiles, a blanket of coziness and warmth hovering over it like a mirage in a desert. Intangible and fake, though if he squinted his eyes, it became hard - almost impossible - to tell.

On the other side, however, the image remained stark, real, almost abrasively so. The faces there stood out, stark and edged, weathered by experience to a point beyond what could be considered pleasant. And yet, an honesty shone forth in those eyes, in the lines of the faces, a certainty that when you looked at them, nothing remained hidden.

”Nevertheless, retreat is no longer an option. So, I ask you this: Would you rather live in a world of peace where everything you know is a sweet lie, or would you rather live in a world where all you know is truth, even many of them are painful?”

- Zephyr -

Before Zephyr, the path beyond the gates distorted, and images formed. Both appeared to show the aftermath of some demon attack, though the nature of the outcomes differed vastly. On the one side, the majority of the humans remained standing, as did the demons, the survivors lingering at the edges of the vision with ominous and vindictive expressions.

On the other, few humans remained standing, surrounded by many innocent corpses. But far more demons littered the ground still, with none remaining alive anywhere to be seen.

“I ask you this: Is it better to fight to protect, even if it means evil lingering to perhaps strike again another day? Or is it better to fight to punish, extinguishing evil at once, even if the casualties run much higher in the end?”

Back to top Go down
Spiriter
Amateur Author
Amateur Author
Spiriter

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:00 pm

Zephyr stood with his arms folded, glaring at nothing. It didn't seem like there was any way out of this place at the moment... and he couldn't reasonably run off without the rest of his group. He sighed as the voice spoke again.

“I ask you this: Is it better to fight to protect, even if it means evil lingering to perhaps strike again another day? Or is it better to fight to punish, extinguishing evil at once, even if the casualties run much higher in the end?”

Now understanding the meaning of the images that had appeared beyond the two gates, Zephyr strode forth without hesitation. "Fine, I'll play your game." He spoke to the air as he walked into the gate with two sides still standing.

"A wise man told me, strength that only destroys is worth less than nothing." He continued, clearly addressing the creature arbitrating this so-called 'opportunity', reminiscing over the one that had raised him from a powerless child to the man he was today. The meaning of power and when to use it had been driven into him at every opportunity, and held a special meaning in his heart.
Back to top Go down
NoIn-LoKi
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
NoIn-LoKi

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:04 am

Grotto in the mist

- Vayu -

Suddenly something formed in the fog, the two gates becoming clearer and revealing two distinct images. Vayu stepped closer, shock spreading across his face when he recognized himself.

”I ask you: Is it better to fulfill the expectations of others, even if you fulfill none of your own? Or is it better to fulfill your own goals and values, even at the cost of others’ respect?”

What kind of twisted mind game was this? It was clear what the voice expected of him. He needed to pick an image, a gate to walk through. For a moment he hesitated, then ignoring the second image, he walked through the gate that showed the crowed looking towards him in adoration.

He closed his eyes as he stepped through, his expression nearly mimicking the same expression that showed on the image. On the other side of the gate, he found himself in more mist. Confused he looked around. Where had this landed him?

Vayu took a few steps forward and suddenly the grotto came back into view and two gates appeared out of the mist. Upon getting closer, he stopped. The images. They were the same.

"What the...?" he asked himself confused. "What is this?" he asked out loud. Of course, no one answered. "This is ridiculous," he murmured after a few minutes of pacing back and forth. He stepped forward again through the same gate as before. However, he found himself once again back where he started.

And again.
And again.
And again.

"What do you want from me?" he asked, punching the rock in the grotto.

"I heard your question the first time!" he yelled back frusted.

Vayu layed down on his back in front of the two gates, staring up into the misty sky. How'd he gotten caught up in this cycle? He longed to talk to his friends. Bastion or Nena or Catequil... anyone that could help him determine on what to do.

Hold on!

That was it, wasn't it?

He wanted to know what the others thought so he could determine what the best course of action was. But what about his own thoughts? His own desires?

Vayu stood up and dusted his pants off. A light smirk played around his lips and he stepped towards the gates again, this time stepping through the other one.

Maybe it was time to take his decisions into his own hands.
Back to top Go down
Dannytheman1
Simplistic Scripter
Simplistic Scripter
Dannytheman1

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:52 pm

Samael

Samael's eyes narrowed at the comment of him being unable to control his emotions, a heat in his chest began to bubble up as he turned to where he thought this ambient voice was coming from as the now convicted vanguard crossed his arms in a closed off and defensive posture. His eyes gazed towards the two illusions as his eyes flickered between a color of emotions but barely visible.

"The one on the right." Samael commented, as he glanced at his hand almost like it had shot itself out. Though, his face remained solid as he remained convicted to his choice. He glanced down at the illusion that was covering him at the moment, before turning back towards the voice.

I know it's a bit hypocritical, but he only hides himself because... because... he wasn't sure. He needed it to survive before but now, would anyone even really care? Why was he still doing this illusion?

"I saw how people grew under pressure in the last village, I'd be doing a disservice to Kagetora if I let everyone grow weak in a lie filled world. People should be protected, but the truth shouldn't be hidden from then.... otherwise how would Nilo have grown to where he was." Samael commented to himself, as he walked towards the bitter path.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:51 pm

Mountain Path

- Everyone -

As the Vanguards passed through their chosen gates, they found themselves walking upward along a path. They didn’t have long to wait, however, until they found themselves deposited in the same clearing they’d just left.

No… perhaps not quite the same. Though it looked nearly identical, the air seemed a bit thinner, the altitude higher. The mist might have even been just a little less dense…

- Vayu -

”Well, I see you have at least some honesty in you. Even if it took a while to get there,” the voice said pleasantly. ”Let’s hope it lasts.

Behind one gate, Bastion, Samael, Zephyr, and his other fellow Vanguards stood, watching him walk away into the distance, something almost like relief in their expressions. On the other, he stood beside them, resolutely facing forward, even as their expressions held mixed feelings as they looked toward him.

”I ask you: If you were holding your fellow Vanguards back, would you leave them for their own good? Or would you persist alongside them, even if it meant making mistakes and causing them to doubt or resent you?”

- Samael -

”It’s a funny thing, isn’t it? Law and Chaos, two opposing forces, two damaging ideologies. And yet… there’s much we can learn from them at times, isn’t there? If Law understood that sometimes flexibility withstands storms where rigidity can only break. If Chaos understood that sometimes the greatest strength can come from sacrificing ourselves for others. Ah, if only…”

The voice trailed off, almost wistful, as images appeared behind the two gates. Behind one gate, a crowd of admirers stood around a lone figure in a handsomely styled, ornate mask, all heaping looks and words of praise on them.

Behind the other, the figure stood with their mask abandoned, their face disfigured and marred. But one lone figure stood beside them, a hand gently touching their cheek, their face a look of kindness and affection.

”I ask you: Is it better to be adored and respected by many only based on reputation? Or to be loved truly and completely by just one person who truly knows them?

- Zephyr -

“Well, I see you have at least some honesty in you. Good,” the voice said pleasantly. ”Let’s hope it lasts.”

Behind one gate, a little Obaryin demon lay, whimpering in pain from a wound in its side. Its wide, innocent eyes gazed imploringly at Zephyr, and though the noises from its mouth couldn’t be deciphered, he knew it wanted his help.

Behind the other gate, a man lay, a wound of his own pouring blood. A knife in his hand seemed to indicate he’d been the one to attack the demon, and he sneered as he stared at Zephyr.

“I ask you: Would you sacrifice a guilty man to save an innocent demon? Or would you sacrifice an innocent demon to save a guilty man?”

————————————————————————

- Bastion -

Bastion’s reception held a little less warmth. The voice gave him no greeting, no indication what it thought about his choice. It merely launched into another question, the tone softer yet more withdrawn.

“I ask you this: Would you protect all humans, even if it meant keeping around evil ones that could corrupt the righteous ones, or would you purge any evil humans to achieve paradise?”

Bastion hesitated, glancing between the two gates. Behind one, a mass of people stood, their bearings ranging from friendly and playful to withdrawn or sad or serious to hostile and even malicious. Behind the other, once more, he found a smaller crowd with faces all painted in blissful, radiant smiles, ignoring the carpet of human corpses around their feet.

He was a Vanguard. It was his duty to protect humans. But… did that include humans who hurt humans? Humans would ruin things for others who had a chance at peace at happiness?

His mind flashed to that village in the mist, to the demons who’d once been human. Had Mother Harlot really transformed them into demons? Or had she merely allowed what was already there to emerge from within?

If people could truly be like that… then were they worth saving?

His legs inched forward at first, then drew strength as he moved closer to his chosen gate. He flinched as he took his first step over the fallen bodies, but he kept moving forward nonetheless.

Back to top Go down
NoIn-LoKi
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
NoIn-LoKi

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:31 pm

Path in the mist

- Vayu -

Vayu breathed a sigh of relief when he finally passed through the gate and found himself walking up a long path until he came to another clearing, the mist still covering the entire area.

He rolled his eyes at the voice. Great, a spirit with an attitude. Before he could ponder the likeness to his own attitude, his eyes fell on the gates. Another choice and certainly not an easier one.

This time, before just walking through the gate that seemed objectively the right one, he stopped, his eyes darting between the two images. Both hurt and he could see the doubts that would fill him in each situation.

“Why are you making me choose?” he asked out loud. Of course, he wanted to stay part of the group, but if he was not good enough, if he was holding the other back from accomplishing the goal, of course it would be better to leave, right? Wasn’t that the ultimate sacrifice to loyalty?

But where did that leave him? Alone, belonging nowhere again. He closed his eyes, trying to push back the emotion that threatened to overwhelm him. If he wanted to belong so badly, then why had he left his village? Was he that afraid of resentment?

When the spiral of thoughts in his head finally settled, he didn’t even know how much time had passed. In his heart he knew the answer to those questions. It was hard to take such an honest look at himself and to admit it. Slowly his feet moved towards the second gate. He took a deep breath before stepping through towards his fellow vanguards.

Last edited by NoIn-LoKi on Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dannytheman1
Simplistic Scripter
Simplistic Scripter
Dannytheman1

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:21 am

Samael

Samael eyed the area around his suspiciously as he passed through the first gate, placing his hand on his heart to check if it was still beating right. His head shifted behind him to look at the last gate carefully studying the phenomenon like there was some code inside it that needed to be cracked.

He placed his hand under his chin because his gaze shifted back towards the voice facing the two new gates. His eyes again shifting between the two, he took a step towards the crowd of admirers for a second but his body froze almost like something was rioting against it.

"Being respected by many, that would certainly make my job easier." Samael commented, but he couldn't help but shake the feeling of Goki and Tulip. They both knew hi... no her and knew her truly and because of them.....

Samael took a deep breath as he turned towards the other gate, the gate where the mask was discarded and he turned towards the lone figure. He walked towards it as his mind flashed to the instant Goki had walked away from him saying to be his true self.

"But if it wasn't for the ones who truly knew me, I would of just been the same person I was with that pack of demons. A pointless life, were I could held no one." Samael commented, as the memory of Bastion dying flashed before his eyes.

Would thing be different if he knew this now, if he wasn't so selfish could he of saved him from dying there? Either way, she was tired of having people die because of her wasting energy... she needed to be stronger and hiding amongst others is what caused it.

Monet gazed off into the darkness as she caught a glimpse of a lone scared girl, as she dropped her illusion. Just like she did back for the fiend hunt, however this time her hair didn't glow golden, her skin wasn't bright and perfect, her eyes not bright with ambition.

She looked exhausted, almost like she had been keeping up a faint illusion even when she dropped it in front of the council, even when she was alone, never letting herself be herself even when she wanted to.

She walked towards the right gate, worn, tired, cautious but confident she made the right choice this time.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:26 am

Mountain Path

- Everyone -

As the Vanguards passed through their chosen gates once again, they found themselves walking further upward along a path. Though it led them back to a clearing almost the same as the last, it was unmistakable now that they were much higher up the mountain. The mist still lingered around the edges like a curtain, but it no longer closed in on them. With just a breeze, it felt like it would all blow away and be clear.

"You've come a long way," the voice said. "I am impressed. Your answer is within reach... if you can grasp it."

--------------------------------------------------

- Vayu -

Behind one gate, Bastion, Samael, Zephyr, Komori, Nena, Rory, and Mongo stood as though waiting for him. Samael appeared reserved as usual, and Zephyr half-oblivious, half-trying-too-hard-to-act-aloof. Bastion and Rory managed shy smiles, while Komori and Mongo grinned over at him. Nena even gave a little wave, her head tilted.

Behind the other gate, Akio, Rohan, and... yes, even his father stood, all beaming with arms held wide, as though welcoming him back from a long trip.

"I ask of you one final time: If you could go back, fix your past mistakes, and become the son and brother your family expected, would you take that chance, knowing you would never become a Vanguard and leave your friends to continue their path without you? Or would you choose to stay the course, knowing you'd never live up to that expectation and image your family had for you?"

- Samael?/Monet? -

Behind the two gates, a figure appeared. By this point, it seemed less shocking and more an inevitability to see Samael standing at one side and Monet at the other, staring back, their faces impassive and free of judgment.

"I ask of you one final time: If given the chance to become Samael once and for all, would you choose to give up Monet? Or would you stay true to Monet if it meant giving up Samael for good?"

They each put out a hand, expectant, waiting.

- Bastion -

Bastion glanced around the clearing, waiting in expectation of the voice, but only silence greeted him. Frowning, he took a step toward the empty gates.

"Is your little game over then?"

"The future of your soul is no game," the voice said quietly. "So I will ask of you one final time..."

Behind one gate, Vayu, Samael, Zephyr, and Komori stood outside Chaldea, staring off into the ruinous wilderness beyond.

"Would you sacrifice the chance for paradise to stand with your friends against an uncertain future?"

They turned to him expectantly, parting to leave a space beside them. Instinctively, he took a step forward until light behind the second gate caught his eye.

"Or would you sacrifice even them to achieve paradise for mankind?"

Those same comrades, those same friends, lay stone-faced in the dust, staring off into the same distance. But this time, a paradise stretched before them, a garden of Eden spreading over the earth. Though even fewer people now stood there, the radiance and bliss of their faces as they basked in the nature around them and sampled from its limitless abundance.

"I..." Bastion took a step back, eyes darting between the two gates. "I can't."

The faces of his dead friends made his stomach turn, but just past them lay beauty he'd never seen. Was that... worth it? Could he justify sacrificing all that good for humanity just for his own sentimentality?

He took a step toward the second gate, but his legs trembled. He glanced at the first gate, at the expectant look from the others, as though no doubt remained in their minds that he would stand by them. His heart ached as he remembered the times shared with them. Of fighting by their side. Of how Vayu even ignored orders and risked his life to follow him against the Fiends. Could he repay that trust, that selflessness, with such callous sacrifice?

He stood rooted to the spot, trembling. "I... I can't."

"You can. And you will. That choice can't be put off forever. You know that, deep down."

"No!" he snapped. "Who are you to decide that? There has to be another way. There has to be!"

"There is."

Bastion gasped, looking around. That voice... it wasn't like the first one that lingered around the edges of the clearing like a ghost. This seemed to radiate through his own mind and out into the air.

"No... how?"

The first voice cut off as the air distorted between the two gates, pushing space itself apart until a third gate appeared between them. The same paradise as the second gate shone before him, but now his friends stood there too, basking in adoration as he stood in their midst, his mouth open as though singing a hymn or song.

"I can give you that gift, Bastion, to shepherd those you care about, to make sure they never go astray."

"...As...ra?"

Yes, he knew that voice. It was the angel who'd spoken to him after he'd died, who'd returned him to his body with new purpose. A rush of warmth passed through him as he hurried through the middle gate.

Of course, Asra hadn't abandoned him. And Asra wouldn't make him sacrifice everything that way. He made a way. A way where there seemed to be no way.

Back to top Go down
NoIn-LoKi
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
NoIn-LoKi

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:59 pm

Mountain Path

- Vayu -

Vayu slowly walked up the path, absentmindedly noticing that he was still heading up the mountain and wondering how much further it was to the top. With all this mist it was hard to tell.

The voice that seemed to come from nowhere and everywhere at once pulled him from the thoughts that had occupied his thoughts for most of the walk.

Once again, he stood before two gates. He was only slightly surprised at the images presented. The last two gates had hinted at this, and this was a fitting culmination.

His eyes looked longingly at the gate displaying his family all ready to welcome him back. Could this be a reality? Did he want this to be a reality? And at what cost. He pondered over the question once again. Did he want to go back? Didn’t that mean changing the past? And where did that leave the friends he surrounded himself with now? And would fixing this one incident back home really fix everything?

Still staring at the image of his family as if trying to burn it into his mind, he thought back to the time he spent with his family. There had always been an up and down of happy times and arguments. And he had been at the center of many of them. He couldn’t fool himself. If this hadn’t been the fight that caused the pot to boil over it would’ve been a different one. The truth was, you could never live up to the expectation someone had and going back in the past wouldn’t change that. It wouldn’t change who he was as a person. He would always feel the need to do what he felt was right.

Giving the image one last long look, hoping that one day his family could see him for who he really was and not for who they expected him to be, he turned away and stepped towards the other gate.

He knew he needed to follow through on the path he was on.

“Going back in the past wouldn’t fix anything,” he said, not sure who he was addressing. “The only way to create the present I want, is to press on towards the future. That is something we can still change.”

Taking a deep breath, he stepped through the gate towards his fellow Vanguards.

Prisma*Illya likes this post

Back to top Go down
Dannytheman1
Simplistic Scripter
Simplistic Scripter
Dannytheman1

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:40 pm

Monett

Monett took a deep sigh, as she gazed between the two figures. She eyes lingered on Samael for what seemed like an eternity, her eyes locked and mesmerized in a strong and adult figure that stood their strong and proud.

Then her gaze shifty slowly to Monett. She had a hard time visualizing the woman, as she couldn't help but picture the girl she was before she joined the roaming gang of demons that had damaged her old village. How she had to hide what she was, or they would consider it 'weakness' and throw her to the wolves like they did all the others. Her spells and her humanity.... she was only useful as a tool to them.

"Goodbye Samael." Monett commented as she grabbed the hand of the mirror reflection of her, as she waited for something anything to happen that might spring a trap.

Though nothing came, at least not yet, as the misty visage of Samael faded away. However, glimpses of Tulip and Goki appeared in the fog in the distance.....

How the hell is she going to explain this to the others.... especially Bastion.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:30 pm

Mountain Summit

As Vayu and Monet passed through the final gateways, a surge of power welled up within themselves, like a rock or blockage being knocked away allowing a stream of water to finally flow forward. So taken by the change within, it took them a moment to realize they stood at the beginning of a path spiraling upward toward the top of the mountain. The mist fell away behind them as they climbed, and when they reached the summit, the found their view of the mountain below and the surrounding land unobstructed.

Most peculiarly, they seemed to step out onto the summit within a few moments of each other, even though neither had seen each other or heard each other on the path.

A clapping came from up above, and as they craned their necks around to see, a figure hopped off the gateway they’d passed through and landed on the ground in front of them.

“Well done, Vanguards,” he said. Something familiar about the voice tugged at them both. And the face… Wasn’t that?

Critical Mission II: The Three Trials CE1225

The amicable nature vanished abruptly as Bastion suddenly stepped into place beside them, his expression calm and placid. He gave off an aura of increased power as they did, though something seemed… different.

“Vayu, you’re both okay,” he confirmed, then started at the sight of Monet. “Monet? What are you doing here?”

Before she could answer, the mysterious man interrupted. “A question for another time, I think.”

Bastiont turned on him. “And I take it you’re the one to thank for this little excursion.”

When he produced his spear, his hostility flashing, the man shook his head. “I’d save my strength if I were you, increased though it may be.”

“Why is that?”

The man tilted his head. “You didn’t think it would be that easy, did you?”

Before Bastion could ask, streaks of darkness shot along the ground from behind them. As they jumped aside, trying to understand what was happening, the shadowy pooled together and rose up, forming the figures from the visions they’d denied. Only now, they all stood stark black, their eyes shining with unbridled contempt.

The figures moved in close, fusing, melding below the waist, upper bodies writhing and flailing, growing and widening, until a beast stood before them, its mouths opening and howling in anguish.

Critical Mission II: The Three Trials SMT-V-Hydra

“The Beast of Regret,” the man said calmly. “Numerous, many faced, and hard to put down.” His lips turned up. “But not impossible.”

With a shriek, the hydra lumbered forward, its heads lunging and snapping at them.

=========================

Empowered to Tier 3! Class Skills Evolved

Vayu - Double Summon: summon up to two demons at once in battle

Monet - Spell Proficiency - learn up to two skills from your equipped demon; increase spell slots by two

Bastion - Spell Proficiency - learn up to two skills from your equipped demon; increase spell slots by two
Back to top Go down
Spiriter
Amateur Author
Amateur Author
Spiriter

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:24 pm

Zephyr passed through the first gate without event or fanfare. Perhaps with the exception of the snark from the creature in the most.

Following a short stroll, he came across the next, identical set of gates. Only the images beyond were different. Of course, he'd figured out by now how this worked, so he figured he might as well play along for now. After all, there was nothing else he could do at the moment.

Following the demon's question, Zephyr opened his mouth to say perhaps the most dissonant... or characteristic words anyone had heard coming out of his mouth. Depending on who you ask, of course.

"I owe the demon nothing. What is the man guilty of, and why should I save him if his crime makes him worth the punishment?"

Cold, direct, to the point, and entirely dismissive of half the equation. Strange coming from the mouth of a man that hung out with a Pixie most of the time, yet also entirely true. The only demon he saw as a person was Cherry. Any others he tolerated at best, and entirely reviled at worst. They took everything from him, and hence he owed them nothing.

"Oh, we're the implications too much for your comprehension?" The voice laughed in derision before answering. "He's guilty of murdering an innocent demon of course."

Zephyr scoffed at the answer, walking through the appropriate gate without so much as a second response. No such thing as a human determined enough to go out and try to kill one without cause. He passed through the gate to save the man, not a hint of hesitation or remorse in his eyes. If anything, he merely seemed annoyed by the administrator's tone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Critical Mission II: The Three Trials   Critical Mission II: The Three Trials Clock11

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next