Inception - DeCosta Job

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster

PostSubject: Re: Inception - DeCosta Job   Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:01 pm

Hunter tried to avoid rolling his eyes at Sofie and John's none-too-subtle Cold War and turned his attention back to Tess.

"Yes, the Mark might try to change the password instead," he admitted. "But, theoretically, she should still have to store that information somewhere safe. As long as we have a safe or some other place set up to receive that information, we should be able to get it."

"It's the best idea we have," Sofie said with a delicate shrug, the closest thing to a vote of confidence Hunter was likely to get.

"I think," Hunter continued, avoiding looking at Tess, "that it would work best if we put the Mark in an emotionally vulnerable environment. The Mark will naturally look to hide things away."

It was just weird to be talking about Tess like this in front of her, no matter how much he tried to divorce the idea of the Mark from her.

~Phantom Thief Panther~
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rpbastion.forumotion.com
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer

Location : Sitting alone outside a door that someone else kicked in. I'll wait for all eternity. Won't you invite me in?

PostSubject: Re: Inception - DeCosta Job   Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:54 pm

"What exactly do you have in mind?" Tess asked with a slight smirk. "Are we looking for fear, confusion, despair?"

"Anger." John cut in, finally shifting his gaze towards Tess. "Given the Mark's level of mental stability, I think the best choice is anger. It will force her to make the most mistakes."

He paused for a moment, as if contemplating something. "However, it will also make the projections more aggressive. By agitating the environment, we cut down on our uptime."

"That's an acceptable tradeoff, provided the Architect is aware of the situation." Tess responded. "Any other suggestions?" She glanced around the room.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster

PostSubject: Re: Inception - DeCosta Job   Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:38 pm

"Anger should work, and I agree that the risks are within reason," Sofie said. "We just need to find what triggers anger in the Mark, then tailor the environments to facilitate that."

Hunter sighed to himself, knowing who owned that responsibility. He definitely wanted to go back to being an Architect. That somehow seemed much simpler.

"That will be for the Pointman to find out," he said, deliberately glancing at John to throw Tess off. Sofie didn't bother to acknowledge that.

"I guess that's it then," Sofie said, standing up. "We should probably finally start the real job then."

Hunter nodded. It was going to be complicated, trying to plan things while keeping Tess out of the loop, but he planned to leave the technicalities to John and focus on his own work.

~Phantom Thief Panther~
Back to top Go down
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer

Location : Sitting alone outside a door that someone else kicked in. I'll wait for all eternity. Won't you invite me in?

PostSubject: Re: Inception - DeCosta Job   Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:39 pm

"Let's get to it then." Tess said, rising from her seat with an exaggerated gesture. "I am curious though, how are you planning to make me angry, John?"

"That shouldn't be too complicated." John responded as he crossed the room to refill his coffee. "Anger is an indirect emotional response, often triggered by an imbalance of other emotions. The path that leads to it differs, depending on the person, but the result is the same."

"You wear a nice mask of serenity, but I doubt your emotions are any more in check than the rest of ours beneath it. That does, of course, make it more difficult to predict the presence of specific emotions, but at the end of the day, you do still feel them. It's just a matter of finding which triggering emotion leads to anger."

"For most people, it's fear." He glanced in Sofie's direction for a moment. "Or dissatisfaction..."

"I think you'll be different though." John continued, taking a sip of his freshly filled coffee. "My bet is on despair."

Tess raised an eyebrow at that, fighting off the urge to shiver. "Has anyone ever told you that your mind is a scary place, John?"

He glanced in Sofie's direction again before taking another sip of coffee. "You have no idea."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster

PostSubject: Re: Inception - DeCosta Job   Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:36 pm

Sofie pretend as though she didn't notice John's sidelong glances or snide insinuations. The man thought he knew everything - including her.

He did make a good point about triggering angering though. If it was despair that would get to Tess, she had a pretty good idea of how. John was the Forger this time, though, not her. If he couldn't figure it out for himself, then he wasn't up to the task.

She should just get up and leave the others, but she was becoming increasingly frustrated that her attempts to distance herself from the others was seeming to bother her more than it was them. So she sat, looking bored, and she waited for them all to get on with things.

~Phantom Thief Panther~
Back to top Go down
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer

PostSubject: Re: Inception - DeCosta Job   Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:23 pm

"Let's talk about the dream space then." Tess said, turning her attention to Hunter and trying her best to ignore the waves of tension pulsing between the other two people in the room. "Considering what John said about the aggression level of the projections, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the matter."

"Got any cool tricks to keep them busy?" She asked with a smile. "I'm a big fan of theatrics myself, but I don't know how useful that would be here."

Hopefully, she could get John and Sofie back on track with this discussion. The two of them seemed to be living in their own little version of armageddon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster

PostSubject: Re: Inception - DeCosta Job   Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:24 pm

Hunter was glad for the diversion from the other two and smiled at Tess as he thought about her question.

"Well, we know the Mark's subconscious isn't militarized," he said. "So the aggression level of the projections would probably be comparable to something like an angry mob. So our best means of protection would be some methods of crowd control. Diverting paths would be a good choice. If we can set up the maze almost like rail-road tracks to shunt people down one path or another, we can stay ahead of the projections with relative ease."

Sofie hummed thoughtfully and thread a hand through her hair.

"Ideally," she said, "we should choose more private locations that would require as few projections as possible."

Hunter nodded. Ultimately, though, the location would come down to what triggered the Mark best. If they could use her house or something, that would mitigate potential projection threats.

"I had some pretty good ideas for dealing with large crowds on a couple previous jobs," he said, looking at Tess. "I can show you a few designs."

He got out his computer and began to point out some of his level designs, traps, and loopholes from the last couple jobs. It made him a bit nostalgic to think of working with Trevor and John for the first time in the Ace Job, diverting projections in his maze-like frat house. Or holding off waves of cartel for Karina.

"I think some of these traps will probably serve us best," he said, pointing out the diverting wall trick in the frat house layout.

~Phantom Thief Panther~
Back to top Go down
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer

PostSubject: Re: Inception - DeCosta Job   Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:24 am

"On the contrary." John cut into Hunter's speech. "I know for a fact that the Mark's subconscious does have some level of militarization. It's just not an entirely stable system."

"In a sense, it's actually more dangerous, because it understands threats to some extent, but it hasn't created a standard way of dealing with them yet. That makes it's response to us unpredictable."

"So, some of your designs may work, but it's best to prepare a backup plan."

"I don't believe in having anything less than three backup plans." Tess responded, giving John a sly grin. "But I do think this sliding door design has promise. It can be used for a variety of different things."

"What would you say is probably our best setup?" She asked, directing the question at John.

He frowned at that, leaning against the back of the couch where Hunter was sitting. "How safe to you want to play this?"

Tess smirked, leaning back in her seat. "If we're already planning to envelope the Mark's subconscious in emotional chaos, why not just go whole hog?" She twisted her fingers, and a playing card materialized between them. Spinning it once, she tossed it onto the keyboard of Hunter's laptop, where it came to rest, face up. The Joker. "What do you have in mind?"

"Well, by that standard, we want to put the Mark into an environment she's unfamiliar with, something to further throw her off of her game. We want to completely take away her control, or at least her sense of it." He took a step back and began to pace behind the couch.

"In the first layer, we'll need to unsettle her. That's where we want to create the anger. From there, it'll cascade to the next layer and multiply in intensity. I'm thinking we go with a grade school setting for the first layer. It should be easy enough for Hunter to control the projections in there, especially since most of them will be children."

"The second layer should be something more intimate, where there will be less projections. Maybe an apartment or a restaurant?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster

PostSubject: Re: Inception - DeCosta Job   Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Hunter nodded along to John's words, following along until he reached the point about the grade school. He opened his mouth to say something, but Sofie spoke first.

"Fewer projections," she corrected, rolling her eyes. Hunter cleared his throat.

"Why a grade school? To use the Mark's son?" he asked. "In that case, an apartment would make more sense for the second layer, unless the Mark and her son go out to eat a lot."

~Phantom Thief Panther~
Back to top Go down
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer

PostSubject: Re: Inception - DeCosta Job   Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:37 pm

“Exactly.” John responded to Hunter, ignoring Sofie’s correction in the process. “But we only need the Mark’s son for leverage against her emotional state in the first layer. Once we’ve entered the second layer, that emotional distress should carry over on its own.”

“So,” Tess cut in at this point, “all we need in the second layer is someone to distract the already emotionally unstable Mark while we steal the information.”

“Precisely.” John nodded, and Tess leaned back in her seat, looking somewhat shell-shocked.

“Well, that’s definitely something…” She said thoughtfully. “Can we pull it off?”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster

PostSubject: Re: Inception - DeCosta Job   Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:40 pm

Hunter nodded, looking impressed. Sofie was too, though she didn't display it so openly.

"Of course we can," Sofie answered Tess. "We're some of the best in the business."

She indicated her, John, and Hunter with her finger. She might not like John, but she gave credit where it was due. And Hunter was harmless enough.

"Thanks, Sofie," Hunter said, looking pleased. Sofie didn't bother to return his smile. It's not like she was doing him a favor. Just stating her opinion.

"Are we going to forge the son on the first layer?" she asked, moving the conversation along. "It might be easier to control the situation than if he were just a projection."

That was for the real Forger - John - to worry about, but Tess didn't know that. So she had to be the one to voice it.

~Phantom Thief Panther~
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inception - DeCosta Job   

Back to top Go down

Inception - DeCosta Job
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Roleplay :: IC Section-
Jump to: