Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~Welcome to the new stage of roleplay~

HomeSearchRegisterLog in

Inception - Bash Job

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:19 pm

That door...

Sofie hadn't noticed it when she'd first entered this hallway. Strange. It seemed so much older than everything else. Was this a doorway into something from his deep past?

She glanced back at the spa door. The implication that she was no stranger to his subconscious was still buzzing in the back of her mind. And the interrogation drug scene... the less said about that, the better. Maybe she should stop here. Whatever was in there was probably not pretty.

And for the first time, she began to feel guilty. If John tried to plunder her subconscious and the things found within, she would probably be tempted to kill him.

The sudden crack jolted her from her thoughts, however. It seemed to be coming from behind the door. Sofie dug her nails into her palms, willing herself to walk away, but...

Slowly, she moved closer to the old door. Gently, she turned the handle, but it stopped short. Locked then. Something this old-fashioned should be easy though. She stooped down, manifested a pin, and worked at the lock. With only a little effort, it gave a rewarding click. Sofie stood up and gave the handle a turn once more. This time, it turned.

~The Ruin of Camelot~
Back to top Go down
https://rpbastion.forumotion.com
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
Payne

Location : Sitting alone outside a door that someone else kicked in. I'll wait for all eternity. Won't you invite me in?

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:36 pm

"You just can't help yourself, can you?"

The voice was that of a woman with a heavy Northeastern accent. It crackled though, hinting at years, possibly even decades of smoking.

"Last week, it was the laundry. Yesterday, it was the stairs. Tonight, you were sneaking extra food out of the kitchen."

The sound of footsteps on the hard wooden floor echoed down the short hallway Sofie was standing in. Judging from the variation in volume, the woman was pacing back and forth in the room around the corner.

"What went wrong with you? Huh?" The voice questioned. "You were such a nice kid when the state department dumped you here."
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:46 pm

Sofie looked around the house she'd just entered. Judging by the style and décor, this was definitely from some decades back. She proceeded slowly, more conscious than ever of remaining unnoticed after the near-miss in the bathhouse.

A woman was speaking. She stopped to listen, to the words and the pacing, and she frowned. She had a pretty good idea of who this once nice kid was, but she had to check.

The meeting in the bar... the old watch from his grandfather... Pieces were starting to come together, and she was quite certain she wouldn't like what she saw.

~The Ruin of Camelot~
Back to top Go down
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
Payne

Location : Sitting alone outside a door that someone else kicked in. I'll wait for all eternity. Won't you invite me in?

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:57 pm

Around the corner was what appeared to be an old office. A worn, hardwood desk stood in front of a bookcase and several filing cabinets, although it was hard to see it beneath the mountain of paperwork piled on top of it.

A few steps in front of it, a middle-aged woman with wavy salt and pepper hair stood, looking expectantly down at a boy that looked to be roughly ten or eleven.

"Well? You have nothing to say for yourself?"

She shifted her arms slightly, and the cane gripped in the hand furthest from Sofie briefly came into view.

The boy, dressed in what had probably once been a white button down short and a pair of black trousers, offered no response at all.

After several moments, the woman growled.

CRACK!

Like lighting, the cane leapt through the air, lashing against the boy's leg. He had to have felt it, but aside from the slight jerk upon contact, he offered no sign of pain.

"I see that even this is ineffective now..." She growled, looking down at the boy in disgust.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:07 am

So this was young John. She couldn't see too much from this angle, but that hair was familiar, dark and thick. Even the jawline was his, though not as defined in his younger years.

And this is where he grew up. Well, this couldn't have been pleasant.

Another crack. Sofie jolted at the sound and the sight of the impact, so fast she hardly had time to process it. A familiar feeling welled up inside her that made her skin crawl. Her stomach clenched painfully.

Stop.

The woman moved, leering down at the boy with unbridled loathing in her eyes and voice.

Stop.

The cane twitched in her hand, as though she'd love nothing more than to swat him again, ineffective or not.

STOP.

Childhood should be happiness. Innocence shouldn't be taken from them like this.

MAKE IT STOP.

The cold grip of the gun was in her hand, hard and reassuring. This... this would make it stop. She just had to move and pull the trigger.

~The Ruin of Camelot~
Back to top Go down
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
Payne

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:17 am

An arm suddenly snaked around Sofie's waist, gripping her wrist to hold the gun towards the floor. At the same time, a hand covered her mouth to prevent her from making a sound.

"No." John's breath whispered over her ear. "You can't help him."

CRACK!

The woman suddenly turned, lashing the cane across the boy's face instead of his legs this time.

With a grunt, he collapsed to the floor, his hand snapping upwards to cover his jaw.

"No one can help him." John continued to whisper, even as the scene played out in front of them.

"Well!?" The woman practically screeched at the boy on the floor. "You wanted attention, didn't you? Where's that shit-eating grin of yours now?"

"No one helped him then." John pulled her backwards, away from the doorway. "And if you help him now, he won't be able to help himself anymore..."

He continued to hold her against him until they had stepped through the old door frame, which he kicked shut before turning her and pinning her against it. "You shouldn't be here, Sofie..."
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:34 am

Sofie's eyes snapped open in surprise as John seized her in an irresistible grip. She felt his warm breath and his soft words, even as she felt the lash of the cane across his younger self's face. She gave a violent jerk in his arms, and it was probably a good thing that he was holding her like this.

She let herself be pulled away from the room, from that scene, back into the hallway. She didn't resist as he forced her against the door, or look away when his gaze scorched through her. And she certainly didn't let that sob lodged somewhere inside her larynx surface.

Because that belonged to someone else, as separated from her as John was from that boy in there.

"Yes, I see that," she said quietly. She allowed a moment to pass, time to restructure her walls and masks.

But even so, even so, she couldn't help but ask.

"How long?" she murmured, ignoring the bite of his fingers on her arms.

~The Ruin of Camelot~
Back to top Go down
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
Payne

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:49 am

John's eyes narrowed as he studied her face, something in their depths swirling with all the chaos of his emotions. "How long what?" He asked in response.

"How long was I standing behind you?"

"How long did I spend on the floor after that last strike?"

"How about you?" He leaned in a little closer. "How long have you been in here? How much have you seen?"
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:51 am

The intensity of his voice was enough to rattle her, but she wouldn't let it show. Instead, she waited till the questions had died down before she met his eyes again.

"How long did you endure it?"

~The Ruin of Camelot~
Back to top Go down
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
Payne

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:56 am

John frowned at the slight pinch of her voice, and as if only now realizing how hard he was gripping her arms, he slowly let off the pressure.

"Until I was big enough that she feared retaliation." He growled in response. Clearly, it wasn't the best subject for discussion.

"Why are you here, Sofie?"
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:02 am

Until he was big enough... Considering how big he looked back there, it must have been a while then.

She nodded faintly, processing that. But when she felt the loosening of his grip, she turned her focus back to him. From the low rumble of his voice, she was clearly still in hot water.

"Elliot was watching over you," she said. "I told him to take off, and that I would watch you. But then, I figured you were probably prepping for your dream level. I just thought I'd see how things were progressing."

She made an attempt to pull away and was able to move aside a few steps.

"That was quite a big assumption on my part," she said, trying to lighten her tone. "Obviously. Well, I woke up in some interrogation room. I decided to look around and, then I saw this door and heard the noises..."

She trailed off, not wanting to get back on the topic of that room and what it held. She conveniently left out the sauna room, feeling that discussing it would be like throwing gasoline on a bonfire.

~The Ruin of Camelot~
Back to top Go down
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
Payne

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:09 am

John's features hardened, and he released her, taking a full step back.

"You're usually a better liar than this..." He mused, regarding her with a surprisingly impassive expression, considering what she'd just admitted to seeing.

"One of us can't help but be honest here." John waved his arm to indicate their surroundings. "The least you could do is replicate that honesty."
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:32 am

Sofie sighed and threaded her fingers through her hair. His gaze was painful, but she'd be lying if she said she didn't deserve it.

"I was curious," she admitted in a low voice. "Seeing what made the unflappable John's mind tick."

She attempted a smile, but it was too difficult to maintain, especially when he was looking like that.

"Other people are open books to us. But we're enigmas, aren't we? An itch you just can't seem to scratch."

Even after seeing what she had, she still didn't fully understand. It was baffling to feel that he was as close to a mirror image as she could get, and yet there was no one she'd met that she understood less.

~The Ruin of Camelot~
Back to top Go down
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
Payne

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:13 pm

"Curious?" John laughed bitterly. "And you sought answers here?"

He turned away from her and walked a few steps down the hall before punching a button on the vending machine. It hummed for a moment before dispensing amber liquid into a plastic cup, which John downed instantly.

"How bad is that itch, Sofie? If I were to say I suspect what you've seen only gave you more questions now, would I be right?"

His eyes found hers across the distance, almost daring her to look away.
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:06 pm

Sofie watched as John downed a glass of alcohol from the machine - handy feature, really - before meeting his gaze once more. It was tempting to look away, and she felt sure that's what he wanted, but she refused.
"Yes, I suppose it did," she had admitted. At least, things hadn't been quite so messy before.

She shifted uncomfortably. This was a rather novel experience for her. She couldn't bring herself to apologize, even if it were to make things better (which she doubted). And she never really felt until now that she really ought to, which bothered her even more.

"It was a mistake," she admitted.

~The Ruin of Camelot~
Back to top Go down
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
Payne

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:24 pm

"A mistake, huh?" John raised a questioning eyebrow at her. "What makes you say that?"

His gaze was more searching now, some of the initial anger replaced by the more familiar calculation.

"What was the mistake? Finding something you didn't want to know? Getting caught? Or maybe, making the itch worse?"
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:36 pm

"Prying was the mistake," Sofie said, her gaze growing slightly harder. She knew she was in the wrong here, but this prolonged interrogation was starting to grate on her. John was too fond of his games when she'd much prefer to just be direct and be done with this.

"I wouldn't forgive you if I found you snooping through my subconscious," she admitted. "So I won't ask for your forgiveness. But for what it's worth.... I am sorry."

That was a difficult thing to say, and she hated the feeling of vulnerability. Hastily, she moved on before she could dwell on it.

"If this is going to affect the job, then tell me right now," Sofie said, keeping her tone business-like. "If there's something I can do to make it work, then I will."

~The Ruin of Camelot~
Back to top Go down
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
Payne

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:46 pm

John remained silent for a long moment, his gaze never wavering from hers.

"Apology accepted." He finally responded. "But your intrusion won't be forgotten."

Turning his back to her, John punched another button on the vending machine and instantly downed the liquid it produced. "So, since you've made the itch," he drew out the word for emphasis, "worse, and I wouldn't like a repeat of this incident, I suppose the best course of action for me would be to answer some of those questions..."

He still hadn't looked back in her direction when he dialed up another drink. "I'm feeling generous tonight, despite all this. So, you get three. After that, you leave, and I better never find you here again..."
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:02 pm

Sofie blinked. Well, she hadn't expected him to just accept her... apology, for lack of a better word. He was taking this rather well, all things considered. Though, judging by the way he was downing those vending machine drinks, it might just be an attempt to act as though none of this bothered him.

She rolled her eyes as he deliberately mentioned the "itch" again, but to her utter amazement, he offered her three questions. Accepting an apology was shocking enough, but to invite her to pry further was nothing short of unbelievable.

"Really? Just like that?" she said incredulously. Still, he was offering. It would be a shame to pass it up.

"What was the deal with that drug binge back there?" Sofie decided on asking. It was still bothering her, and of all the rooms she'd entered, it was the one she understood least. Had he been, or was he still, some kind of junkie? Or did it mean something more?

~The Ruin of Camelot~
Back to top Go down
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
Payne

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:50 pm

John sighed and motioned for Sofie to follow him down the hall. She'd already seen it all anyway, at least everything up until the orphanage...

After turning the corner, he walked all the way to the interrogation room door and opened it, stepping inside. The chair Sofie had seen him in before was empty now, and John motioned for her to sit in it as he leaned against the table.

"After university, I became a criminal profiler." He said in a wistful tone. "It was a job I could lose myself in, and one that I was good at. Unfortunately, it did have its drawbacks. The more you study a sociopath, the more you get into his head, the harder it is to find your way back to yourself. After a while, I needed an escape from my own mind." He laughed at that. "And, of course, now I do this for a living."

"The drugs were an easy way out, and with the people I knew inside the bureau, getting my hands on them was simple. That was one of the reasons I left. Easy access doesn't make an ideal environment for quitting, and you can't manage a dreamshare if you're high, makes the whole thing unstable. Sometimes, I still get the itch, as you so eloquently put it, though. In here, it doesn't matter what I shoot up with. It takes the edge off, only without the side effects of reality."
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:37 am

Sofie was glad to see that there wasn't another John in here, drugged up on any of the various narcotics. One was more than enough to handle at a time. Reluctantly, she took the seat that had once been unoccupied, unable to help feeling the associations attached to it.

So, he really had been on drugs then. She knew from their first meeting that he was damaged, but there were more skeletons in his closet than she'd expected.

Sofie rolled her eyes as he insisted on using "itch" again before waiting for him to finish. It was strange how they could be similar, and yet so different. Despite the pain it brought him, he still had remarkable tenacity in clinging to the past.

Yes, his past. From what she'd pieced together, he'd been orphaned at some point, taken in by a grandfather who gave him his watch, lost the grandfather, been taken in the foster system, left when he was old enough, graduated with his psychology degree, and now became a criminal profiler with a drug problem that he eventually kicked. Sort of.

"I'd think there would be better ways to take your edge off," she said, not bothering to hide her disapproval. "Less destructive ones anyway."

~The Ruin of Camelot~
Back to top Go down
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
Payne

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:37 pm

"Maybe there are better ways." John mused, staring at the wall over her shoulder. "But where I was back then wasn't a good place, and convenience trumped everything else."

He sighed again, looking back over at her. "You're fishing though, and I've already shared all I'm willing to. Now finish your questions, and go."
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:09 am

Sofie pursed her lips and looked away. She didn't appreciate the attitude, but she wasn't going to let it keep her from asking.

"All right," she said, turning back to look at him. "But let's not do it here."

This room made her skin crawl. And sitting in this seat, with her watching over him, made her feel like she was the one under interrogation here. She got up from the chair and headed out into the hallway, taking a deep breath. She knew what question she wanted to ask, but wasn't quite sure if he'd really answer.

"Why do you dream?" Sofie asked quietly. There was nothing good here, nothing worth reliving. Why torture himself like this.

"I stopped dreaming," she admitted. "A long time ago."

~The Ruin of Camelot~
Back to top Go down
Payne
Celebrity Composer
Celebrity Composer
Payne

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:06 pm

John had only just stepped out into the hall when he heard her question. If not for the admittance that immediately followed, he might not have answered. Even now, he found himself slow to produce a response, instead turning to close the door and lean back against it.

All the anger was gone now, at least from the surface. Replacing it was a mixture of sympathy and sadness. "I dream because my mind needs it to keep me grounded." He said slowly, obviously being careful with his words. "Without dreams, the human mind can neither learn from the past nor look forward to the future. It can only comprehend the here and now, and that's not living. It's merely surviving..."

"And even then, at some point, the mind becomes unable to distinguish reality from fantasy. Without the dreams to serve their purpose, the mind tires to compensate by bringing fantasy into the only realm where it still can." His eyes finally lifted to hers, searching for something. "A strong mind can survive that for years, maybe even decades, but eventually everyone will start to notice the cracks in the floor... And then, those cracks widen, and your entire world falls through."
Back to top Go down
Prisma*Illya
Paramount Pagemaster
Paramount Pagemaster
Prisma*Illya

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:27 pm

Sofie raised an eyebrow.

"Really?" she said, and there was the hint of a bite to her tone now. "Is that your professional diagnosis?"

She looked away, down the long hallway toward the old wooden door at the end. Her nails dug into her arms slightly as she tried to weigh her words carefully.

"I would say wallowing in past misfortunes is the definition of not living. The past is gone. The future is only a concept. The present is the only thing we can touch."

Besides, whether you embraced the present or stayed rooted in the past, everyone was just trying to survive.

John's gaze was making her uncomfortable, irritable. To change the topic, she looked back at him and narrowed her eyes.

"How did you find me in here anyway?" she asked.

~The Ruin of Camelot~
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inception - Bash Job   Inception - Bash Job - Page 5 Clock11

Back to top Go down

Inception - Bash Job
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Roleplay :: IC Section-
Jump to: